This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience
Our Chinese dictionary has a page dedicated to insects, and my 3-year-old daughter loves to stare the creatures and asks the same questions…
- 哪些昆虫是我们的朋友？ Nǎxiē kūnchóng shì wǒmen de péngyǒu? Which insects are our friends?
- 哪些昆虫可以刺激我们？ Nǎxiē kūnchóng kěyǐ cìjī wǒmen? Which insects can sting us?
- 哪些昆虫有翅膀？ Nǎxiē kūnchóng yǒu chìbǎng? Which insects have wings?
And she always tells me: 我最喜欢的昆虫是蝴蝶! Wǒ zuì xǐhuān de kūnchóng shì húdié! My favorite insect is the butterfly!
We have done this butterfly craft several times with various colors and shapes for the wings. My daughter learned the word 翅膀 (chìbǎng / wings) very well after doing this craft many times!
What you need:
What to do:
- Fold construction paper in half and cut wings
- Write 蝴蝶 (húdié / butterfly), 翅膀 (chìbǎng / wings), or 昆虫 (kūnchóng / insect) on wings. For those who are learning basic characters, suggest writing 虫子(chóngzi / insect).
- Place craft stick at crease of paper
- Affix wiggly eyes
- Affix pipe cleaners and bend ends to make attennae
- Ask child to trace each character. We used a glitter pen to make the wings have a pretty sparkle!
- Use butterflies for pretend play and start flying around!
If you try this activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram.
Related educational activities for kids
If your child likes craft stick activities, check out more color matching activities in this link!
To see all learning activities, please click here to see activities organized by topic!
You are also welcome to share ideas and questions with our Facebook group, Montessori-Inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English!
More ways to join CHALK Academy
Follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities from other websites! In addition, on Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate Chinese-learning in our regular daily life!