Growing up, I have fond memories of reading Berenstain Bears (贝贝熊) in English at school, and my kids are enjoying them in English with my husband. Since my children are learning Chinese and I am prioritizing the minority language at home, I got 贝贝熊 books in Chinese. The 生命之光系列丛书(全8册) books featured here are Christian-themed and touch upon topics that are important for our family.
贝贝熊 Berenstain Bear Books 贝贝熊生命之光系列丛书 (全8册) – Christian Books for Children in Chinese
- Author (作者): Michael, Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Publisher: 万卷出版公司
- Language: Simplified Chinese
- ISBN: 9787547007860
- Where to buy:
- Age: 4-8 years
- Where to listen: Ximalaya – This narrator is not my favorite, but it was the only one that had most of the stories in this series
- 贝贝熊爱你的邻居 (The Berenstain Bears Love Their Neighbors)
- 贝贝熊感恩 (The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks)
- 贝贝熊黄金法则 (The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule)
- 贝贝熊星期日 (The Berenstain Bears Go to Sunday School)
- 贝贝熊你真可爱 (The Berenstain Bears God Loves You)
- 贝贝熊忠实的朋友 (The Berenstain Bears Faithful Friends)
- 贝贝熊心愿 (The Berenstain Bears Say Their Prayers)
I was not able to find a good audio for 精彩的比赛 (The Berenstain Bears Play a Good Game).
贝贝熊生命之光系列丛书 (全8册) Review
These books talk about common topics, like church, friendship, Sunday School, and rules. This faith-based series encourages positive relationships at home and school. There are supposed to be 8 books in these series, but we are currently missing 3 of the books somewhere in our house! Since the series does not address Easter per se, I bought the English version on Amazon.
My 5-year-old daughter has been very intrigued by the stories and often grabs the books to read them on the couch on her own. Like most picture books, the font is very small. Each book has a few new Chinese characters per page for my daughter, making this book a slight challenge that is bridged by listening to the audiobooks on Ximalaya.
In regards to the illustrations, my 5-year-0ld loves the Berenstain Bears and finds the bear family to be charming. My 2-year-old also thinks they are cute, but the stories and illustrations are too abstract for his young age. For his age, we mainly read realistic books with representational illustrations.
Chinese Bible Verse: Matthew 7:12, The Golden Rule
My daughter was inspired by the《黄金法则》book to write the Matthew 7:12 Golden Rule verse for me in a little book that she created!
- English: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- Simplified Chinese: 你愿意人怎样待你，你也要怎样待人
- Traditional Chinese: 你願意人怎樣待你，你也要怎樣待人
- Hanyu Pinyin: Nǐ yuànyì rén zěnyàng dài nǐ, nǐ yě yào zěnyàng dàirén
Copywork is the most motivating way for my daughter to practice writing on her own will without my asking!
Photos of 贝贝熊 Berenstain Bear Books 贝贝熊生命之光系列丛书 (全8册)
In summary, the Berenstain Bears Books are a fun way to introduce Christian stories to children ages 4 and up (preschool, Kindergarten, and lower elementary school).
Christian Books for children
- 复活节 (Easter) by Gail Gibbons: Chinese Book Review & Craft Stick Puzzle
- Max Lucado Books for Kids in Chinese
- Chinese Christian Songs: Stream of Praise Music Board Book for Kids
- Top 6 Resources for Doing Family Devotions in Chinese 家庭靈修資源 (Spot of Sunshine)
Fun, hands-on Christian crafts for kids!
- “Jesus is King” crown craft and coloring pages
- Washi Tape Cardboard Cross
- Easter egg craft stick puzzle
- Chalk eggs with glue resist
Chinese Christian music for children
- Stream of Praise Music Ministries DVDs and CDs
- Stream of Praise Chinese Music Board Books
- 5 Simple Chinese Christian Songs for Kids & Free Printable Lyrics 五首簡單兒童聖歌和歌詞 (Spot of Sunshine)
- Top Chinese Children’s Worship Albums: Mandarin & Cantonese (Spot of Sunshine)
To see Chinese children’s book recommendations, click here!
For all hands-on learning activities organized by topic, click here!
Bilingual Chinese Christian Facebook group!
For more resources and support, please join our Facebook group Christian Parents Raising Bilingual Children in English & Chinese! We welcome parents of all races and ethnicities who want to join the discussion and share bilingual Christian resources!