I have recently discovered many beautiful nature crafts on the internet, and I love seeing these creations with no paper waste! Therefore, I have been compelled to think of a Chinese literacy activity with natural elements. With Thanksgiving coming up in a few days, 老大 and I made a turkey with leaves!
I’ll show you photos of how to make a turkey craft with leaves. Then, we turned the nature craft into a Chinese sight-word matching game!
Important Thanksgiving vocabulary in Chinese, Pinyin, and English
For this Thanksgiving nature craft, we focused on the following words:
- 感恩节 (gǎn’ēn jié / Thanksgiving)
- 假期 (jiàqī / holiday)
- 火鸡 (huǒ jī / turkey)
Simple Chinese characters like “火鸡” are great for those who are just starting to learn Chinese.
However, you can focus on any characters related to Thanksgiving and autumn season. All activities should be adaptable to what your child is learning!
Nature turkey craft with leaves: What you need
- Variety of leaves – ask your child to help you find a large brown leaf for the turkey’s body and other colors for the feathers!
- Sharpie marker
- Sticks or wood chips
Nature turkey craft with leaves: how to set it up
- Draw outline of turkey’s body; cut body
- Draw turkey’s eyes, nose, and snood
- Write 火 on turkey’s body and 火 on several leaves
- Write 鸡 on another turkey’s body and 鸡 on several leaves
- Match the leaves to the turkey body with the corresponding Chinese character!
- Add sticks for legs
I tried to keep the activity as organic as possible with marker being the only non-natural ingredient.
Nature turkey craft – Chinese word matching activity
Normally we would tape the feathers together, but in a way it was great that we didn’t.
With loose parts, the matching activity could be repeated by re-making the turkey. Therefore, kids can review and memorize Chinese characters while they play!
Do you want to see how they turned out? 老二 was so curious as well!
Have you tried this nature turkey craft with leaves?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below!
We’d love to hear about your learning experience! Please share what language(s) your child(ren) are learning!
More Chinese Thanksgiving resources for kids
- 7 Low-Prep, Educational Chinese Thanksgiving Activities!
- Thanksgiving Picture Books in English & Chinese
- 10 Fun and Free Chinese Teaching Activities with Leaves! (Free Printable)
- 16 Tree and Autumn Books for Kids in Chinese and English
- 10 Thanksgiving YouTube Videos for Kids in Mandarin Chinese!
Recommended articles about how to teach kids Chinese
If you need tips on how to teach your child Chinese, these posts are for you!
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent
- 15 Ways to Get Your Child to Read Throughout the Day
- 6 Fun Ways to Assess Reading Comprehension With Kids!
Let’s stay in touch
As always, let me know if you have any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them.
The best way to connect is by leaving a note in the comments so all readers can learn from the discussion 🙂
Follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities!
On Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate learning Chinese & Korean (minority languages) in our daily life.
And I’d love to chat more with you about favorite books at @chinesekidlit!