《想哭的时候》 Everyone is a book that features a young boy who explores various emotions. I’m excited to share this book which features a kid that looks kind of like my son. And both boys and girls need books that show truths, such as “Big boys DO cry” and “Boys will be
boys human beings.”
We can gradually change the stereotypical “macho” culture at home by validating our children’s emotions and teaching them empathy for others. 《想哭的时候》 Everyone is an inviting picture book that encourages children to discover their feelings through simple text and artistic illustrations.
- Author: 克里斯托弗 赛拉斯 尼尔 (Christopher Silas Neal)
- Where to Buy
- Where to listen:
- Ximalaya has a free Mandarin narration where you can hear a woman reading the story. However, it is not professional quality like other stories. The page turning is very loud in this recording.
- For those who speak Cantonese, you can listen to Cantonese Mommy narrate the story on YouTube!
Review of《想哭的时候》 Everyone
This book features a boy who experiences a variety of emotions, stated in simple sentences, but illustrated vividly in various shades of blue. Emotions, such as happiness and sadness, are paired with various metaphors like a balloon lifting him up when he’s happy and then deflating when he’s sad. Pictures of outer space are shown when he feels like nobody is listening. When he talks about how he used to be happy, he is smiling while a balloon lifts him up. Then the balloon deflates as the boy frowns and talks about how his emotions have changed to sadness. Happiness is also later paired with smiling flowers.
I was particularly struck by the image of the boy’s tears transforming into birds. To me, this represented the liberating feeling I have experience when I have a good cry. Although the symbolism is abstract for my children (2 year old boy and 5 year old girl), they understand the relief of being able to cry when they need to.
The concluding illustration shows people hugging in various windows, and the text confirms that everybody has emotions. Positive and negative feels – we all experience them, and it’s completely okay!
Photos of《想哭的时候》 Everyone
In summary, I recommend the《想哭的时候》Everyone emotions book for boys and girls!
Emotion learning resources for children
- Emotions Book and Montessori 3-part cards in English, Chinese, and Korean
- Emoji learning activities
- Me and my family activities
FREE CHINESE AUDIOBOOKS
Ximalaya FM has thousands of Chinese stories for children for free! Our favorites are listed in this post. Since the entire website and app is in Chinese, please refer to this guide if you cannot read Chinese.
WHERE TO BUY CHINESE BOOKS FOR KIDS
For more Chinese book recommendations for kids, please visit and bookmark this link of our favorite books! Every week, I will be adding book reviews to this website!
If you’re wondering where to buy Chinese books for children, please click here for a list of the most popular online bookstores!
RECOMMENDED ARTICLES ABOUT HOW TO TEACH KIDS CHINESE
- Tips on creating a Chinese learning environment at home
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent: 7 Lessons Learned in 2018
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- Encourage A Child to Love and Speak the Minority Language with 5 Strategies
- How to Find a Foreign Language Teacher for Your Child
- 5 Reasons Books are the Best Gifts for Multilingual Kids
- Teaching kids how to read Chinese
RECOMMENDED BILINGUAL FACEBOOK PARENTING GROUPS
As always, please let me know if you have any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them! Please leave a note in the comments! I also highly recommend reaching out to parents in Facebook support groups:
- Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English
- Christian Parents Raising Bilingual Children in English & Chinese
- Raising Bilingual Parents in Chinese & English
You can also follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities from other websites! In addition, on Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate Chinese-learning in our daily family life!
Happy reading, friends!