When my daughter was 3 years old, we made an easy and fun 太阳 (tài yáng / sun) craft to learn about numbers! This number-matching sunshine craft may seem simple, but it’s packed with learning opportunities for toddlers and preschoolers!
This post has affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for further details.
Developmental skills reviewed include:
- Shape recognition
- Number matching
- Introduction to clock face
- Fine motor skills (cutting, taping)
What you need for the number matching paper plate sun:
- Yellow paint
- Paper plate
- Construction paper
How to set up the number matching paper plate sun:
- Paint paper plate.
- Write clock numbers on plate. For symmetry, first write numbers 三 (sān / 3)，六 (liù / 6)，九 (jiǔ / 9)，十二 (shí’èr / 12). Then fill in the other numbers.
- Cut 12 triangles from construction paper.
- Write numbers on each triangle.
- Tape triangle to corresponding number.
***Since Chinese is the minority language for our family, I wrote the numbers in Chinese to encourage us to speak in Chinese.
We had a great time working on this number matching activity in our backyard, enjoying the beautiful sunshine and fresh air!
If you try this number matching activity with your child, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram and Facebook.
Related hands-on learning activities for kids!
- How I’m Teaching My Children Math for Free
- Fun and Educational Paper Plate Activities for Children!
- How-To Guide for Chinese activities!
Be sure to bookmark “Activities by Topic” to see what your child might want to try today!
If you aren’t sure where to begin with home learning, please read our How-To Guide for Chinese Activities!
As always, please let me know if you have any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them! Please leave a note in the comments!
Follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities from other websites!
On Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate Chinese & Korean learning in our daily life!