小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) is the bedtime song for my kids, so my daughter knows the lyrics all too well. Last year, I made a 小星星 craft stick puzzle, and it’s one of my daughter’s favorite DIY puzzles! However, the colors began to fade, and I ended up remaking the craft stick puzzle.
This simple craft stick puzzle is a fun way to help kids memorize Chinese characters while learning the popular song. I’m glad that I waited to share about this particular puzzle so that I can show you tips I’ve learned since making the original puzzle!
On my kids’ learning shelf, I have a basket of Chinese craft stick puzzles set out. My daughter can work independently on them whenever she wants. If you’ve been following us for a while, I’m a big fan of incorporating Chinese reading with various activities to encourage reading and speaking our minority language.
What you need for the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Craft Stick Puzzle:
- Star stickers
- X-acto knife
- Natural Jumbo craft sticks, natural mini craft sticks (we used these), or colored craft sticks
- Paint brush
- Black acrylic paint – Note: It dries quickly and leaves a vibrant color, but please note that the smell is rather strong when the paint is wet
- Circle template – We love this set from Learning Resources and use the smallest circle for the labels
- White address labels
- Black pen
- Download the song from wonderful Chinese music album for children, “A Little Mandarin“!
How to make 小星星 (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) Puzzles:
- Decide on the number of craft sticks to use
- Since the song has 28 Chinese words, I recommend using 7 or 14 craft sticks for the song lyrics
- You could use 28 craft sticks and have 1 word per stick, but I feel like that is too many craft sticks
- You can use 14 craft sticks to have lyrics divided between the top and bottom of craft sticks
- The most cost effective option that we chose was to 7 craft sticks and have lyrics divided in the front and back of the sticks. This would also make the puzzle more challenging!
- Paint craft sticks black
- Allow paint to dry
- Using the smallest circle in the circle template, trace 28 circles
- Write 小星星 song lyrics (included at end of this post for your reference) with black pen
- Cut out labels and tape to craft sticks.
- Affix stickers throughout puzzle and cut with X-acto knife.
- Demonstrate how to complete the puzzle.
- Mix up puzzle pieces. As the child solves the puzzle, he or she might read or sing the song!
- Note: The lyrics and the stickers serve as controls for each other for completing the puzzle!
The next two photos are my “old” version of the craft stick puzzles. I previously used a black marker to color the craft sticks. You can also see how the the first stanza of the lyrics are 7 craft sticks; the second stanza is on the back.
Side-by-side comparison of two versions of the 小星星 (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) craft stick puzzles
At the top is the marker version after one year of intermittent use! In contrast, I painted the bottom puzzle with black acrylic paint, and therefore, the star stickers and Chinese characters really pop!
I highly recommend using acrylic paint instead of marker so these craft stick puzzles can look great for a long time!
小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Printable Lyrics
I typed up the lyrics for 小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) in English, Chinese, and Pinyin for my daughter. We keep all song lyrics in a binder for convenience, and you can see an example of it in my review of Stream of Praise Chinese Christian music. Feel free to download the pdf files in both Chinese scripts:
- 小星星 (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Simplified Chinese Lyrics with Pinyin and English
- 小星星 (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Traditional Chinese Lyrics with Pinyin and English
Note: I included an English translation of the Chinese lyrics since the Chinese words are a bit different from the original English version that you are familiar with!
Lyrics in Chinese, Pinyin, and English
For quick reference, below are the lyrics for 小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) in English, Chinese (simplified / traditional), and Hanyu Pinyin.
一闪一闪亮晶晶 / 一閃一閃亮晶晶 Yī shǎn yī shǎn liàng jīng jīng Twinkle twinkle sparkling 满天都是小星星 / 滿天都是小星星 Mǎn tiān dōu shì xiǎo xīng xīng The sky is full of little stars 挂在天空放光明 / 掛在天空放光明 Guà zài tiān kōng fàng guāng míng Shining, hanging in the sky 好像许多小眼睛 / 好像很多小眼睛 Yǎo xiàng xǔ duō xiǎo yǎn jīng Like many little eyes 一闪一闪亮晶晶 / 一閃一閃亮晶晶 Yī shǎn yī shǎn liàng jīng jīng Twinkle twinkle sparkling 满天都是小星星 / 滿天都是小星星 Mǎn tiān dōu shì xiǎo xīng xīng The sky is full of little stars
Save this activity on Pinterest!
For convenient lesson planning, Pin this 小星星 activity to your Pinterest board!
If your kids like this craft stick puzzle, see if they’d like our 小星星 (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Constellation Sticker Activity!
I hope these activities can help your child remember the lyrics and Chinese characters for the Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star song!
More educational craft stick puzzles for children
Here are more Chinese craft stick puzzles to try (listed in order of difficulty):
- Bilingual Chinese-Korean Shape Puzzles
- Easy Craft Stick Rainbow Puzzle
- Craft Stick Puzzles – A Fun Way to Learn Color Names in Chinese!
- Chinese New Year Craft Stick Puzzle & Sensory Tray
Have you tried this Twinkle Twinkle Little Star puzzle?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below! What age(s) are your kid(s) and how did it go? We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to our Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!