Today, I’m going to show you how to make a kid-friendly Velcro Chinese numbers puzzle. This educational activity is fun for toddlers and school-aged kids, yet durable enough for baby siblings! When my daughter was 3 years old, we made the Velcro Chinese numbers puzzle together. Through this project, number recognition was reinforced by tracing, cutting, and matching.
What you need for the Chinese numbers puzzle:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Felt sheets (I like these felt sheets with adhesive backing because are stiff, durable, and easy to paste together)
- Foam sheets
- Sharpie marker
- Numbers template (free download for subscribers in the Printables Library)
If you don’t have the materials that we used, you can instead make the puzzle with cardboard!
How to make the Velcro Chinese Numbers Puzzle:
- Paste 2 felt sheets together to make a thick card
- Using the template, trace numbers on felt sheet
- Using the template, trace numbers on foam sheets
- Cut foam sheets
- Affix Velcro to felt & foam
- Match numbers to corresponding number outline over and over again!
Preschoolers, Kindergarteners, and elementary school-aged children can participate in making the puzzle with the help of an adult. However, younger toddlers will need an adult to create this for them.
We made double-sided Chinese numbers puzzle cards to conserve materials. However, in hindsight, I would suggest making single-sized puzzle cards for more versatility (eg, play memory game).
Teaching suggestions with the Chinese Numbers Puzzle:
- Model counting for your child, and ask her to count out loud:
yī, èr, sān, sì, wǔ, liù, qī, bā…
Explain to your child that it is important to practice counting Chinese out loud and make a habit of counting carefully without rushing
- One-to-one correspondence: Match the correct number of objects (eg, rocks, beans, pasta, toys) to each number
Sort by odd numbers and even numbers together
The end product has withstood aggressive handling by baby brother, so 老大 (lǎodà / oldest child) is relieved about that!
If you try this Velcro Chinese numbers puzzle, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram.
Happy learning, friends!