你好! Nǐ hǎo!
I’m Betty, and I’m so happy that you’re here. CHALK Academy is just me and my kids – and any family that wants their kids to enjoy learning Chinese!
If you’re a busy parent looking for engaging ways to teach your child Chinese, you’ve come to the right place. I created CHALK Academy to share activities, printables, books, and other educational resources and connect with other parents on this journey.
CHALK stands for Creative, Hands-on, Active Learning for Kids. Based on Montessori and Reggio principles, our teaching philosophy incorporates sensory activities and movement for child-led Chinese learning.
The website is organized into 5 main categories:
- Quick, easy, and fun Chinese activities
- Free, interactive printables
- Resources including our favorite books, videos, music, apps
- Our family’s journey – my reflections about Chinese learning and updates about my children’s progress
- Teaching tips
I’m a second-generation Chinese-American mom of a 4-year-old girl (老大 / lǎo dà) and 1-year-old boy (老二 / lǎo èr). Trained as a pediatrician, I currently work in the e-learning industry and am homeschooling my children in Chinese. I’m married to my best friend, a Korean-American guy, and we are raising our kids trilingual in a small town in California.
Born and raised in a small American town myself, I began to appreciate Chinese language and culture only when I became a parent. Determined to give my children the best chance at learning Chinese, I stay up late at night brainstorming activities and creating materials that encourage curiosity and play while learning. The days are rewarding and begin with big smiles from my children, excited to see what Chinese surprises are in store for them!
Let’s learn together!
If you’d like to get in touch, feel free to leave a message in the comments section after each post. You can also email email@example.com with any questions!
Please subscribe to stay up-to-date on new activities and resources and follow us on social media:
Together, we can make Chinese language and culture a positive part of family life!
谢谢 (Xièxiè / THANK YOU)
Thank you, Jesus, for my encouraging family and friends! Special shout out to:
- My brother-in-law, Ray, for helping me build this website with Easy Cloud Solutions
- My sister, Jennie, to whom I am grateful for her advice and content contributions
- The amazing members of the Facebook groups Raising Bilingual Children in Chinese & English and Raising Bilingual Children in English & Korean