你好! Nǐ hǎo!
I’m Betty, and I’m so happy that you’re here. CHALK Academy is just me and my kids – and any family that wants their kids to enjoy learning Chinese!
If you’re a busy parent looking for engaging ways to teach your child Chinese, you’ve come to the right place! I created CHALK Academy to share Chinese activities, printables, books, and other educational resources and to connect with other parents on this journey.
CHALK stands for Creative, Hands-on, Active Learning for Kids. Inspired by the Dr. Maria Montessori, our teaching philosophy incorporates sensory activities and movement for child-led Chinese learning.
The website is organized into 5 main categories:
- Quick, easy, and fun Chinese activities
- Free, interactive printables
- Resources such as our favorite books, videos, music, apps, and toys/games
- Our family’s journey – reflections about Chinese learning and updates about my children’s progress
- Teaching tips
I’m a second-generation Chinese-American mom of a 5-year-old girl (老大 / lǎo dà) and 2-year-old boy (老二 / lǎo èr). Trained as a pediatrician, I currently work in the e-learning industry and am teaching my children Chinese at home. I’m married to my best friend, a Korean-American guy, and we are raising our kids trilingual in a small town in California.
Born and raised in a small American town myself, I began to appreciate Chinese language and culture only when I became a parent. Determined to give my children the best chance at learning Chinese, I spend my nights studying Chinese children’s books and brainstorming activities and creating fun, hands-on Chinese learning activities. The days are rewarding and begin with big smiles from my children, excited to see what Chinese surprises are in store for them!
Let’s teach kids Chinese together!
If this is your first time here, I recommend reading through these guides on how to teach kids Chinese at home:
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent
- How To Learn Chinese as a Busy Parent: 10+ Strategies
- How to Find a Foreign Language Teacher for Your Child
- 10 Ways to Get Your Child to Read Throughout the Day
- 6 Fun Ways to Assess Reading Comprehension With Kids!
For an overview of fun Chinese activities for kids, please review our How-To Guide!
In addition, check out the FAQs!
If you’d like to get in touch, feel free to leave a message in the comments section after each post. You can also email email@example.com with any questions!
Please subscribe to stay up-to-date on new activities and resources and follow us on social media:
Bilingual Facebook Group
For families interested in Chinese learning in a Montessori-friendly environment, please join our Facebook group! Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese is a community of parents worldwide who are excited to share Chinese book recommendations and Montessori tips and learning materials.
Together, we can make Chinese language and culture a positive part of family life!
谢谢 (Xièxiè / THANK YOU)
Thank you, Jesus, for my encouraging family and friends! Special shout out to:
- My brother-in-law, Ray, for helping me build this website with Easy Cloud Solutions
- My sister, Jennie, to whom I am grateful for her advice and content contributions
- The amazing members of these wonderful Facebook groups: