Chinese characters have radicals that indicate the meaning and phonetic sound of the word. Chinese words with heart radicals which are often related to emotions and thoughts. The heart radical can be written in two ways:
- 心 at the bottom of a character: eg, 想 (xiǎng), 恩 (ēn), 忘 (wàng)
- 忄at the left side of a character [竖心旁 (shù xīn páng)]: eg, 快 (kuài), 情 (qíng), 忆 (yì)
Last year, we did this easy heart radical matching game. At that time, my daughter was mixing up a few Chinese 心 heart radical words, we have been doing more heart activities than usual to encourage memorization in a fun way. To catch my daughter’s attention, I set up the activity in an unexpected location: the wall of our dining room! Often times, it’s the simplest things that can make the biggest difference for learning. The big Kraft paper is exciting because it’s larger than book and coloring pages. In addition, the vertical surface is fun for kids because they get to stand/jump/dance and move around while learning! Here are the details of this low-prep learning session!
This post has Amazon affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for further details.
Important heart radical vocabulary:
- 您 (nín / you)
- 想 (xiǎng / think)
- 息 (xī / rest)
- 恩 (ēn / grace)
- 怒 (nù / angry)
- 意 (yì / meaning; idea; thought)
- 思 (sī / think; consider; deliberate)
- 必 (bì / must)
- 总 / 總 (zǒng / always)
- 念 (niàn / think of; miss)
- 感 (gǎn / feel; sense)
- 忘 (wàng / forget, overlook, neglect)
- 愁 (chóu / worry)
What you need for the heart radical words matching activity:
- Large craft paper roll
- Heart Post-It notes OR heart paper cut-outs with double sided tape
- Painter’s tape
- Basket or box to hold the loose hearts
How to set up the heart radical words matching activity:
- Cute and tape the large Kraft paper on the wall. I intentionally tape ours high so that my daughter would have to use a step stool to tape the words out of reach.
- Write heart radical words throughout the large Kraft paper
- Alternatively, write sentences with various heart radical words for more reading practice
- Optional: tape double sided table on the words
- Write heart radical words on the heart paper and put in basket
- Mix up the heart radical words, match, and tape to the wall!
- For kids who need more gross motor action, place the basket far away from the Kraft paper so that they have to run back and forth when finding the correct word!
- Use your child’s favorite color for the hearts. Since my daughter loves rainbows, I used colorful paper so that they would attract her attention.
- If you have multiple kids or students, you can set up multiple stations and have a race to see who can finish matching the fastest!
If you use these Heart Felt Valentines to teach Chinese, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag @CHALKAcademy on Instagram and Facebook! We love to see how other families do Chinese activities!
Related Chinese learning activities for kids
- Learn Chinese Heart Radical Words with Heart Puzzles & Washi Tape!
- Heart radical felt puffy paint valentines interactive activities
- Other Chinese radical learning activities
- To see all hands-on Chinese literacy activities, please browse our activities by topic with your child(ren)!
How to teach kids Chinese characters
- When and How to Introduce Chinese Characters to Kids?
- 5 Basic Tips for Memorizing Chinese Characters
- 10 Ways to Encourage Your Child to Read
- Create a Print-Rich Environment with Labels that Promote Literacy
- How I Taught My Child 1000+ Chinese Characters as a Non-Fluent Speaker
- When Should My Child Learn Hanyu Pinyin?
Happy playful learning, friends!