Chinese Car Doodle 8-Book Series by Fumiko Takeshita for Kids!
Who else has a kid that’s obsessed with cars, trucks, trains, and everything with wheels?! This is a long overdue review of 汽车嘟嘟嘟系列 / 車車繪本精選 (Car Doodle), one of my little boy’s favorite Chinese book series!
Great news! These books come in both simplified and traditional Chinese!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports this educational website at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
汽车嘟嘟嘟系列 / 車車繪本精選 Car Doodle Chinese Book Review
- Author: Fumiko Takeshita 竹下文子, 铃木守 (Illustrator), 彭懿 (translator)
- Where to buy:
- Simplified Chinese / ISBN: 9787544838443
- JoJo Learning (US)
- Traditional Chinese / ISBN: 4711148251129
- Books.com.tw (Taiwan, ships internationally)
- Simplified Chinese / ISBN: 9787544838443
- Audio narration: compatible with Luka Reading Robot
Related: Transportation learning activities for kids!
Originally published in Japanese, these Chinese books feature stories about careers related to transportation in an Asian city. Some examples include:
- Police cars and cops
- Fire trucks and firefighters
- Mail trucks and mail carriers
- Excavators and construction workers
- Ambulances and emergency medical workers
Related: Create a Print-Rich Environment with Labels that Promote Literacy
Although each page has only 2-6 lines of text, the font is somewhat small. As a non-fluent Mandarin learner, I encountered new vocabulary related to vehicles and had to learn with my son!
The illustrations are detailed and realistic, and all of the signs in the book have been translated to Chinese.
My 3-year-old toddler son loves to talk about what’s happening in the pictures! Reading books related to my son’s interests helps motivate him to speak Mandarin Chinese.
Although 6-year-old big sister has been reading Chinese chapter books, she still likes to look at picture books with her little brother.
An important note: All of the workers in these books are Asian or Caucasian-appearing men. These books should be balanced with narratives that feature working women and stories with protagonists of color.
Book titles in 汽车嘟嘟嘟系列 / 車車繪本精選 Car Doodle Chinese Series
Please note that the titles for the series and each book are different in simplified and traditional Chinese.
- 《叮咚！公共汽车》( Ding Dong! Bus) / 《公車來了》(The Bus is Coming)
- 《咔嚓！挖掘机》 / (Ka Cha! Excavator) / 《挖土機，出發！》(Let’s Go, Excavator!)
- 《加油！警车》/ 《加油！警車》 (Go! Police Car)
- 《来！大家一起修马路》(Let’s Fix the Road!) / 《修馬路！小心喔》(Fix the road! Watch out!)
- 《谢谢你！快递车》Thank you! Mail Truck / 《快！快！宅急便》(Quick! Quick! Express Delivery)
- 《快来！一起盖房子》/ 《大家來蓋房子!》(Let’s Build A House)
- 《出发！坐车去海边》/ 《搭客運去海邊》Ready, Set! Take the Bus to the Beach
- 《呜！火车来了》/ 《電車來了噹噹噹》Choo Choo! The Train is Coming
Photos of 汽车嘟嘟嘟系列 / 車車繪本精選 Car Doodle Chinese Books
Here’s a closer look at some of the books in this series! We have the simplified Chinese version of these transpiration books.
Please note that the police book shows officers chasing after robbers on the highway followed by a fleet of police cars surrounding the robbers.
《加油！警车》/ 加油！警車》Go! Police Car
《呜！火车来了》/ 《電車來了噹噹噹》Choo Choo! The Train is Coming
《谢谢你！快递车》/ 《快！快！宅急便》Thank you! Mail Truck
《出发！坐车去海边》/ 《搭客運去海邊》 Ready, Set! Take the Bus to the Beach
《咔嚓！挖掘机》 / (Ka Cha! Excavator) / 《挖土機，出發！》(Let’s Go, Excavator!)
What did your child think of 汽车嘟嘟嘟系列 / 車車繪本精選 (Car Doodle Series)?
If you end up reading this book, let me know what you think in the comments below! We’d love to hear about your learning experience with the books you choose! What other books do you recommend we check out?
More Chinese books for kids
- For all book recommendations, explore our favorite Chinese books for kids!
- If you’re wondering where to buy children’s books, click here for the best online Chinese bookstores!
Thank you for the review! These look great. The link to the TC version is sold out (or out of print?) but the 10 book set is available: https://www.books.com.tw/products/0010850830
I’m surprised that these books have Chinese version. I read the original Japanese version with my daughter.
Thank you so much for sharing this, Betty!
You’re most welcome! 🙂
We LOVE this series too!! I was a bit skeptical at first actually because the font is so small and I didn’t know the names of the different vehicles yet, but Luka helps with that a lot. Also, my son loves the books so much that I did go through a few of them to annotate with pinyin the words I didn’t know. A few additional tips:
1. You can sometimes find a 10 book set to purchase. The two additional (I’m assuming more recently published in Japan) are about a garbage truck and an ambulance.
2. I love how they keep the vehicle designs the same and repeat them across different books, like you have see the same green #1 digger even in the non-digger books, like building a house but also just in the background on the countryside roads.
3. The illustrations have fun Easter eggs for adults, like this: https://twitter.com/RHPeel/status/1262355216483127299?s=09
Hi Katherine! Hope you are doing well! My son also loves finding familiar scenes in each of the books! Thank you so much for these helpful tips! I didn’t realize there was a 10-book set! Now I need to find 2 more of these books in simplified Chinese!