After my daughter finished the Number Matching Paper Plate Sunshine Craft, I punched holes along the edge of the plate so that she could practice threading. Since we don’t have a child-safe needle, I tied the yarn to a cotton swab, and the cotton swab was an effective way to teach how to manipulate and thread the yarn! I love finding ways to repurpose old activities! This simple paper plate craft was also a wonderful way to review the concept of an analog clock!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate programs help content creators like me provide free advice and printables. Please see our disclosure policy for details.
What you need for clock face threading:
- Hole punch
- Yellow paint
- Paper plate
What to do for clock face threading:
- Paint paper plate.
- Write clock numbers on plate. For symmetry, first write numbers 三 (sān / 3)，六 (liù / 6)，九 (jiǔ / 9)，十二 (shí’èr / 12). Then fill in the other numbers.
- Punch holes next to number. I punched 2 rows of holes for extra threading practice, but in hindsight, the extra holes were a bit distracting for my 3-year-old. Therefore, I suggest keeping it simple for the younger kids!
- Tie yarn on cotton swab.
- Thread in numerical order or practice skip counting! You can also make fun patterns and thread across the plate!
Quick tips on how to teach counting and clocks
- Model counting out loud for your child and ask her to count out loud:
yī, èr, sān, sì, wǔ, liù, qī, bā…
- Explain to your child that it is important to practice counting Chinese out loud, carefully, and without rushing.
- Compare the numbers on the paper plate to that of a real clock and talk about time!
Have you tried this paper sun clock activity?
Related hands-on learning activities for kids!
- How I’m Teaching My Children Math for Free
- Teach Kids Time with Simple, Hands-On Clock Activities
- Fun and Educational Paper Plate Activities for Children!
- How-To Guide for Chinese activities!