After my daughter finished the Number Matching Paper Plate Sunshine Craft, I punched holes along the edge of the plate so that she could practice threading. Since we don’t have a child-safe needle, I tied the yarn to a cotton swab, and the cotton swab was an effective way to teach how to manipulate and thread the yarn! I love finding ways to repurpose old activities! This simple paper plate craft was also a wonderful way to review the concept of an analog clock!
This post has some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
What you need for clock face threading:
- Hole punch
- Yellow paint
- Paper plate
What to do for clock face threading:
- Paint paper plate.
- Write clock numbers on plate. For symmetry, first write numbers 三 (sān / 3)，六 (liù / 6)，九 (jiǔ / 9)，十二 (shí’èr / 12). Then fill in the other numbers.
- Punch holes next to number. I punched 2 rows of holes for extra threading practice, but in hindsight, the extra holes were a bit distracting for my 3-year-old. Therefore, I suggest keeping it simple for the younger kids!
- Tie yarn on cotton swab.
- Thread in numerical order or practice skip counting! You can also make fun patterns and thread across the plate!
Quick tips on how to teach counting and clocks
- Model counting out loud for your child and ask her to count out loud:
yī, èr, sān, sì, wǔ, liù, qī, bā…
- Explain to your child that it is important to practice counting Chinese out loud, carefully, and without rushing.
- Compare the numbers on the paper plate to that of a real clock and talk about time!
Have you tried this paper sun clock activity?
Related hands-on learning activities for kids!
- How I’m Teaching My Children Math for Free
- Teach Kids Time with Simple, Hands-On Clock Activities
- Fun and Educational Paper Plate Activities for Children!
- How-To Guide for Chinese activities!