My 3-and-a-half year old 老大 (lǎodà / oldest child) loves to pick flowers and likes to make her own floral arrangements. Chinese characters are each a work of art, and this activity marries the beauty of Chinese characters with that of fresh flowers. We decorated the character 花 with flowers as well as grass because of the 草字头 (cǎozìtóu / grass radical). In addition, we also filled in the character 草 with grass for more tactile learning!
- 花 (huā / flower)
- 草 (cǎo / grass)
- 自然 (zìrán / nature)
- 美丽 (měilì / beautiful)
- 装饰 (zhuāngshì / decorate)
What you need:
- 花 and 草 block character template (free download)
- Laminating pouches
- Fresh-picked flowers
What to do:
- With scissors, cut a few favorite flowers and blades of grass.
- For fun water play and to get rid of any bugs, rinse flowers and grass gently with water
- Print 花 template. We chose green paper to match the color of grass, but a plain white background would also be great if you have a colorful array of flowers
- Laminate 花 template
- Place grass within the 草字头
- Fill the rest of the 花 character with pretty flowers!
Lastly, don’t forget to fill the 草 character with the blades of grass! I printed this template on a different color to contrast the green grass.
If you try this flower activity for learning 花, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram and Facebook. Happy learning, friends!