For the past few weeks, we’ve been exploring colors, nature, household items, and the neighborhood with our printable scavenger hunts!
Playgrounds have been closed for a couple months, so we’re trying to make the most of what we have near our home!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports my blog and free printables at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
Scavenger hunt games are perfect for my 3-year-old son to review names of common items in English, Chinese, and Korean, our family’s 3 languages!
Meanwhile, my 6-year-old daughter loves to play teacher and guide him on how to read our scavenger hunt printables! She takes the cute, bossy, big sister role very seriously!
In the past, I wrote and drew our scavenger hunts by hand. But working at home while homeschooling has been extra busy, so I’m grateful that we can just print and play!
Whether you’re a homeschooling family, teacher, or parent who’s looking for fun activities, I hope these free, multilingual, scavenger hunt printables can be enjoyed by your children and students!
In this post I’ll share:
- What are scavenger hunt games?
- What can kids learn from scavenger hunts?
- Translations in English, Chinese, Pinyin, and Korean
- Information about downloading printable scavenger hunt games
1. What are scavenger hunts / 寻宝游戏 / 尋寶遊戲 / 보물찾기?
These classic games have been popular since my childhood! Kids of all ages can play!
The concept might seem simple, but it’s actually filled with rich learning opportunities!
With a list of items in hand, players can seek and gather collaboratively or competitively.
2. What can kids learn from scavenger hunts?
- Natural learning: Scavenger hunts encourage natural learning through play, observation, and exploration!
- Promotes language: Kids learn how to name and describe what they are looking for! For my trilingual children, this is a fun way to encourage them to speak their minority languages, Chinese and Korean.
- Adaptable: Scavenger hunts are easy to adapt to a child’s interest and learning level. You can turn any location into a scavenger hunt game! If you want to add a competitive twist to the game, your kids can race to see who can find the most number of items first!
- Teamwork: Scavenger hunts are also great for encouraging bonding and cooperation. My 6-year-old daughter can take on a leadership role by helping her 3-year-old little brother name items on the list. And my son gets super excited to show big sister all of the things he found on his own!
- Exercise: Movement gets blood flowing through the body & brain! While our kids run around during their search, they are in a great mood and making good memories while learning!
3. Translations in English, Chinese, and Korean
Written words in the minority language are important reminders for our family to speak Chinese and Korean.
Therefore, we have been using the Chinese and Korean printable Scavenger Hunts! Since most of you also speak English, we have this language version as well.
Here are translations for each of the printables in English, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Hanyu Pinyin, and Korean!
I intentionally don’t include Pinyin or romanization on my printables so that the Chinese characters and Korean words stand out. However, I hope the references below can help!
- SCAVENGER HUNT / 寻宝游戏 / 尋寶遊戲 (Xúnbǎo yóuxì) / 보물찾기
- How many of each can you find? / 每种你能找到几个？/ 每種你能找到幾個 (Měi zhǒng nǐ néng zhǎodào jǐ gè)? 얼마나 많이 찾을 수 있습니까?
Colors / 颜色 / 顏色 (Yánsè) / 색깔
- Red = 红色 / 紅色 (Hóngsè) / 빨간색
- Orange = 橙色 (Chéngsè) / 주황색
- Yellow = 黄色 / 黃色 (Huángsè) / 노란색
- Green = 绿色 / 綠色 (Lǜsè) / 초록색
- Blue = 蓝色 / 藍色 (Lán sè) / 파란색
- Purple = 紫色 (紫色) / 보라색
- Pink = 粉红色 / 粉紅色 (Fěnhóng sè) / 분홍색
- Brown = 棕色 (Zōngsè) / 갈색
- Black = 黑色 (Hēisè) / 검은색
Nature / 自然 (Zìrán) / 자연
- Green leaf = 绿叶 / 綠葉 (Lǜyè ) / 푸른 잎
- Brown leaf = 棕叶 / 棕葉 (Zōng yè) / 갈색 잎
- Flower = 花 (Huā) / 꽃
- Tree = 树 / 樹 (Shù) / 나무
- Twig = 树枝 / 樹枝 (Shùzhī) / 가지
- Smooth rock = 光滑的石头 / 光滑的石頭 (Guānghuá de shítou) / 매끄러운 돌
- Jagged rock = 粗糙的石头 / 粗糙的石頭 (Cūcāo de shítou) / 들쭉날쭉 한 돌
- Grass = 草 (Cǎo) / 풀
- Water = 水 (Shuǐ) / 물
- Dirt = 泥土 (Nítǔ) / 흙
- Spiderweb = 蜘蛛网 / 蜘蛛網 (Zhīzhū wǎng) / 거미줄
- Cloud = 云 / 雲 (Yún) / 구름
- Pine cone = 松果 (Sōng guǒ) / 솔방울
- Bird = 鸟 / 鳥 (Niǎo) / 새
- Butterfly = 蝴蝶 (Húdié) / 나비
- Ant = 蚂蚁 / 螞蟻 (Mǎyǐ )/ 개미
Neighborhood / 我家附近 (Wǒjiā fùjìn) / 동네
- Car = 汽车 / 汽車 (Qìchē) / 차
- Mailbox = 邮箱 / 郵箱 (Yóuxiāng) / 우체통
- Dog = 狗 (Gǒu) / 개
- Fire hydrant = 消火栓 (Xiāohuǒshuān) / 소화전
- Statue = 雕像 (Diāoxiàng) / 조각상
- Stop sign = 停车标志 / 停車標誌 (Tíngchē biāozhì) / 정지 표지판
- Street light = 路灯 / 路燈 (Lùdēng) / 가로등
- Flag = 旗子 (Qízi) / 깃발
- Flower pot = 花盆 (Huā pén) / 화분
- Windchimes = 风铃 / 風鈴 (Fēnglíng) / 바람 차임
- Bench = 公园椅 / 公園椅 (Gōngyuán yǐ) / 벤치
- Basketball hoop = 篮球框 / 籃球框 (Lánqiú kuāng) / 농구 후프
- Bicycle = 自行车 / 自行車 (Zìxíngchē) / 자전거
- Trash can = 垃圾桶 (Lājītŏng [China pronunciation], Lèsè tǒng [Taiwan pronunciation)] / 쓰레기통
- Delivery truck = 送货卡车 / 送貨卡車 (Sòng huò kǎchē) / 배달 트럭
- Package = 包装 / 包裹 (Bāoguǒ) / 소포
House / 房子 (Fángzi) / 집
- Toothbrush = 牙刷 (Yáshuā) / 칫솔
- Basket = 篮子 / 籃子 (Lánzi) / 바구니
- Cup = 杯子 (Bēizi) / 컵
- Lamp = 灯 / 燈 (Dēng) / 램프
- Towel = 毛巾 (Máojīn) / 수건
- Spatula = 锅铲 / 鍋鏟 (Guō chǎn) / 주걱
- Sofa = 沙发 / 沙發 (Shāfā) / 소파
- Chair = 椅子 (Yǐzi) / 의자
- Table = 桌子 (Zhuōzi) / 식탁
- Book = 书 / 書 (Shū) / 책
- Door = 门 / 門 (Mén) / 문
- Light switch = 开关 / 開關 (Kāiguān) / 전등 스위치
- Pillow = 枕头 / 枕頭 (Zhěntou) / 베개
- Pen = 笔 (Bǐ) / 펜
- Blanket = 毯子 (Tǎnzi) / 담요
- Sock = 袜子 / 襪子 (Wàzi) / 양말
4. What you need for scavenger hunts / 寻宝游戏 / 尋寶遊戲 / 보물찾기
- Printable scavenger hunts: Free download in simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Korean, and English
- White paper
- Color printer (the one we have is no longer sold, but this printer and this printer have high reviews)
- Scissors (adult and kids)
- Basket or cloth bag for collecting; other options include:
- DIY box with cardboard roll handle (image above)
- Muffin pan (see below)
- Optional: Laminator and laminating pouches for extra durability
Which printable scavenger hunt was your child’s favorite?
If you try any of these printable scavenger hunts, please let us know in the comments below!
And if you’d like to see more printable scavenger hunts, feel free to leave your wish list below with translations! We have one with shapes and can try to make other categories to share with you all!
We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to the Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!