To reinforce vocabulary about emotions and supplement the Emoji Sticks & Slots activity, each day I drew a different 表情符号 (biǎoqíng fúhào / emoji) on our easel and varied up the sentences! My daughter thought these were SO hilarious that she actually started requesting specific emojis and asked me to surprise her with their 2-sentence story!Easel messages are perfect for low-pressure reading practice because my daughter is naturally curious to see what I might write and draw! We finished off the week of emoji learning with matching games on the easel!
What you need:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Easel (We love our Melissa & Doug Easel!)
- Dry erase markers (yellow is hard to find, but it’s part of this AmazonBasics set!)
What to do:
- Draw an emoji face with a related sentence. Ask the child to guess what happened and why. This could be a fun opportunity to make up a story!
- Draw a different face each day – my daughter was asking me to surprise her everyday for a week, and then she started making requests!
- Create a matching game with emojis on one size and characters on the other
If you try this activity, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram and Facebook.
If you’re looking for more hands-on ways to learn about emotions, check out these other fun activities:
Bookmark this link to see all activities!
Happy learning, friends!