We have these jumbo pipettes that my 老大 could play with all day and I have no idea how her little hands don’t get sore after a whole hour of doing the same thing. So I knew she would love the drip painting, which I think perfectly brings the 雨 pictograph to life – a cloud with drops of rain falling from it.
In addition to reinforcing the Chinese character 雨, kids also:
- Learn about process art: I think abstract art is excellent for children with perfectionist tendencies. No worries about the result looking a certain way – just enjoy the experience and see what happens!
- Observing color mixing as the paint flows into each other
- Improve their fine motor skills with pipette action
- Strengthen their gross motor skills – those arm muscles are getting a workout with the vertical surface!
Are you ready for drip painting, the most fun way to learn about 雨 (yǔ / rain)?!?!?!
What you need:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Painter’s tape
- Easel or board to hold the paper vertically
- Tray to collect the paint (we used a baking tray)
What to do:
- Tape paper
- Write 雨 in very large font
- Mix water and paint in different cups
- Squeeze and squirt pipette, repeat as desired!
If you try this drip painting activity with your kids, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram. Happy learning, friends!