I am a toilet paper roll hoarder. It’s free, it’s green, and it’s pretty much my favorite DIY teaching tool as a non-crafty mama! I saw an adorable shape stamping activity on the MamaPapaBubba website, and I knew I needed to turn it into a Chinese, Korean, and English sight word game.
My 老大 (lǎodà / oldest child) learned the Chinese names of the major shapes from April’s Qiaohu DVD and workbook, and our nanny taught her the Korean translation. I usually don’t do English activities since the golden rule of raising multilingual children during the toddler years is to focus on the minority languages. But I want my children to appreciate all 3 of their languages, and this was a fun and easy way to mix English, Chinese, and Korean all together!
What you need for the paper roll shape stamping activity:
What to do for the paper roll shape stamping activity:
- Bend each roll into desired shape. For the heart, add a piece of tape to keep the crease in place.
- Label each roll with shape name. This serves a reference if you’re child needs a reminder or is just learning how to recognize the words.
- Tape large sheet of paper to table or floor
- Write shape names all over the paper
- Squeeze paint on plates
- Dip end of roll into paint
- Imprint the shape around the corresponding word
My daughter also had a blast making flowers and rainbows from the shapes! After painting a flower stem and leaves, she decided that she wanted to practicing painting 三 (sān / three). I love that she added her own creative and educational spin! See – toilet paper rolls are really the best!
If you try this paper roll shape stamping activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram.
PS: Don’t recycle your paper rolls just yet until you try our easy Sun & Moon Paper Roll Stamping Activity!
Happy learning, friends!