I’m always looking for different ways to mix sensory play with learning. Texture provides a great sensory input that improves memory, and this Velcro activity is one of our favorites because the materials reinforce the concept. Both sides of a Velcro are perfect for kids to feel the difference between rough and smooth and therefore truly comprehend the associated Chinese characters.
- 软 (ruǎn / soft)
- 柔软的 (róuruǎn de / soft)
- 粗 (cū / rough, coarse)
- 粗糙 (cūcāo / rough, coarse)
What you need:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Velcro dots
- Block character template (free download in simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese)
Please note that I used Velcro tape as shown in the photos. While Velcro tape is more cost-effective, it was a big pain to cut and cause adhesive buildup on the scissor. If you prefer to use Velcro tape, I recommend cleaning the scissor with an adhesive remover.
What to do:
- Print out templates on color paper to give contrast to Velcro
- Write 软 and 粗 on the template so child can see the normal appearance of the characters
- Tape soft pieces on 软 template
- Tape rough pieces on 粗 template
- Feel the contrast of both characters.
- For those who are learning how to write, you can add arrows to indicate 笔画 (bǐ huà / stroke order) and ask your child to use his or her finger to trace stroke in the correct order.
Here’s a video of my daughter tracing 软 following 笔画!
If you try this Velcro activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram and Facebook.
If your child likes sensory learning, I highly recommend the following Chinese activities:
Happy learning, friends!