Although my daughter recognizes the characters for 木 (mù / wood), 树 (shù / tree), and 森林 (sēnlín / forest), I thought it would be fun to show her how visualize 木 as a pictograph radical that is part of 树. This was a helpful way to teach her that Chinese words with 木 are made of wood, such as 椅子 (yǐzi / chair)，桌子 (zhuōzi / desk, table).
This pipe cleaner activity is a fun way to mix character recognition, building, and drawing!
What you need for this Chinese learning activity:
This post has some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
- Pipe cleaners
- Crayons – we love the jumbo ones for toddler hands!
- Large sheet of paper (can also use cardboard if you prefer to recycle and conserve paper)
How to prepare this Chinese learning activity:
- Write 木 with brown marker and 树 with green marker all over paper
- Create 木 with brown pipe cleaner
- Create a tree shape with green pipe cleaner
- Draw a brown tree trunk over each 木 character
- Draw a green tree over each 树 character
My daughter thought the tree pipe cleaner could be a fun stencil, so she used it to trace a few trees! She also had fun drawing a few of her own trees. After drawing, she had fun cutting out the trees!
After this activity, you and your child should recognize 木 and can have fun looking for this Chinese nature character in other Chinese words!
Have you tried creating Chinese nature words with pipe cleaners?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below!
We’d love to hear about your learning experience! Please share what language(s) your child(ren) are learning!
Tips for boosting Chinese skills
- 20+ Ways to Get Your Child to Speak Chinese
- How to Find a Foreign Language Teacher for Your Child
- 5 Ways My Child and I Learn Chinese from Audiobooks
- Handmade Cards for Reading and Writing Practice (English, Chinese, and Korean)
- 5 Key Tips for Memorizing Chinese Characters (VIDEO)