The Chinese Zodiac is a major part of Chinese culture and its calendar system. Based on a recurring 12-year cycle, each year corresponds with an animal. February 16, 2018 will mark the start of the upcoming Chinese New Year, the year of the dog. To help children learn about the relationship between the zodiac animals and the Chinese calendar system, I’ve created an Interactive Chinese Zodiac Wheel! My daughter has a lot of fun spinning it, counting how many years until it’s a certain animal’s year, and finding everybody’s zodiac animal! As with all of our printables, the Zodiac Wheel is available in simplified and traditional Chinese. I hope your family has fun learning from the Chinese Zodiac Wheel!
In order, the 12 zodiac animals are as follows:
- 鼠 (Shǔ/ Rat)
- 牛 (Niú/ Ox)
- 虎 (Hǔ/ Tiger)
- 兔 (Tù/ Rabbit)
- 龙 ( Lóng / Dragon)
- 蛇 (Shé / Snake)
- 马 (Mǎ / Horse)
- 羊 (Yáng / Goat, Sheep, Ram)
- 猴 (Hóu / Monkey)
- 鸡 (Jī / Rooster)
- 狗 (Gǒu / Dog)
- 猪 (Zhū / Pig, Boar)
What you need:
Amazon affiliate links provided for reference.
- Zodiac wheel template – available to subscribers in the Printables Library under “Holiday”
- Printer paper or cardstock (we used red & yellow cardstock)
- Laminating pouches
- Paper fastener
- X-Acto Knife
- Cutting board
How to make the Chinese Zodiac Wheel:
- Print and laminate templates
- Cut along the edge of inner circle on first page
- Cut along the edge of outer circle on second page
- Place smaller circle on top of larger circle
- Insert paper fastener at center of both circles
I recommend laminating the Chinese Zodiac wheel for durability so your child can spin it frequently without worry!
To see the wheel in action, check out the video below!
For more Chinese New Year and Chinese Zodiac learning, check out the following:
- Chinese New Year Books and Audiobooks
- Chinese Zodiac Animals Workbook from DailyNoodles
- DIY Chinese Red Envelope (Free printable!)
Happy learning, friends!