Craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks!) are great for making your own word puzzles for your children or students! It took me less than 10 minutes to set up these color name puzzles for my daughter to learn color names in traditional Chinese (yay for low prep!). Since she knows these words in simplified Chinese, this activity focused on traditional Chinese characters. However, this craft stick activity can be adapted easily to any word and language!
- 颜色 (Yánsè / colors)
- 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫, 粉 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ, fěn / red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink)
What you need to make craft stick word puzzles:
Amazon affiliate links are used in this post.
- Natural Jumbo craft sticks, natural mini craft sticks (we used these), or colored craft sticks
- Black Sharpie marker
- Painter’s tape
- Paint (Optional): My favorite is this acrylic paint because it dries quickly and leaves a vibrant color, but please note that the smell is rather strong when the paint is wet.
How to make Chinese Craft Stick Word Puzzles:
- Paint craft sticks (Optional: can also leave the craft sticks natural and not paint)
- Allow paint to dry
- Tape craft sticks together with painter’s tape
- Write corresponding Chinese character name on craft sticks. Note: use only 2 or 3 craft sticks to make the puzzle easier; use more craft sticks to increase difficulty level.
- Mix up puzzle pieces. As the child solves each puzzle, ask him or her to read each word.
If you child has fun learning color names with these craft stick word puzzles, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag @CHALKAcademy on Instagram and Facebook! We love to see how other families implement our Chinese activities!
Fun, educational activities
- This Rainbow Craft Stick Puzzle is also fun for puzzle lovers! Click here to see more Chinese color activities!
- For more tips on setting up educational activities for kids, please read our How-To Guide for Chinese activities!
Where to buy Chinese books for kids
- For more Chinese book recommendations for kids, please visit and bookmark this link of our favorite books! Every week, I will be adding book reviews to this website!
- If you’re wondering where to buy Chinese books for children, please click here for a list of the most popular online bookstores!
Recommended articles about how to teach kids Chinese
- Tips on creating a Chinese learning environment at home
- How To Learn Chinese as a Busy Parent: 10+ Strategies (This post focuses on how I am learning Chinese)
- Teaching kids how to read Chinese
For an overview of fun Chinese activities for kids, please review our How-To Guide!
Bilingual English and Chinese Facebook Parent Group
As always, please leave a comment with any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them! Or better yet, please join our Facebook group! Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English is a community of parents worldwide who are excited to share bilingual book recommendations, Montessori tips, and learning materials!
Happy learning, friends!