We recently learn about fish anatomy from our fabulous iSuperScience book! Since most of the Chinese words were unfamiliar to us, we did this simple paper plate fish craft to review the parts of a fish.
The great thing about this activity is that my daughter is making art while learning new Chinese words. She also loves stickers, and there are plenty of stickers to stick here!
Fish Anatomy: Important vocabulary in Chinese, Pinyin, and English
- 鱼 (yú / fish)
- 鳞 (lín / scale)
- 尾 (wěi / tail)
- 鳍 (qí / fin)
- 目(mù / eye)
What you need to make the paper plate fish:
Paper Plate Fish: How to make it while teaching
- Paint paper plate blue. Let dry.
- Cut triangle wedge from plate. The resulting gap will be the fish’s mouth.
- Cut edges of plate.
- Use edge as the fishtail and tape to one end of the plate. Label 鱼尾.
- For the fins, cut the other edge in half and tape to top and bottom of plate. Label 鳍.
- Use circle punch or use stencil and scissors to cut several circles with colorful paper. These are the scales of the fish.
- Note: you can use dot stickers instead to save time!
- Label each circle 鳞.
- Tape circles to fish body.
- Cut a circle of white paper for the eye. Draw in black pupil and tape to plate.
Here’s a look at the iSuper Science books that we read for this fish anatomy craft! You can read my detailed review of the full series here.
Have you tried this fish anatomy literacy craft?
If you try this Fish Anatomy activity, let us know!
More paper plate learning activities for children:
Learning activities for every topic!
To sign up for our educational newsletter, please click the button below.
What is your child interested in today? Click below to explore activities and books that your child will love.