Save your toilet paper and paper towel rolls for this easy octopus craft! We had fun using cotton balls for painting as well as counting and playing with this upcycled paper roll octopus family!
Do you know the different to say octopus in Chinese?
- 章鱼 (zhāngyú)
- 八带鱼 (bā dàiyú)
- 八爪鱼 (bā zhuǎyú)
What you need:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Toilet paper rolls
- Paper towel rolls
- Hole reinforcement stickers
- Cotton balls (optional) or paintbrush
- Silver sharpie marker
What to do:
- Collect desired number of paper rolls for octopus family. My daughter chose 2 parents and 2 kids to reflect our family!
- Write 章鱼, 八带鱼, &/or 八爪鱼 on each paper roll
- Cut 8 legs on each paper roll. Note: if you prefer, you can wait to cut the legs after step 3 when the paint has dried
- Paint each paper roll and let dry
- Paint the hole reinforcement stickers and let dry
- Ask the child to notice that the paint has covered the Chinese characters. Rewrite each Chinese character on the painted rolls with silver Sharpie marker so that the characters stand out
- Write 一，二，三，四，五，六，七，八 (yī, èr, sān, sì, wǔ, liù, qī, bā / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
- For the short toilet paper rolls, affix one painted hole stickers on each leg
- For the long paper towel rolls, affix corresponding number of hole stickers on each leg (eg, 三 will have 3 hole stickers).
- Note that the hole reinforcements may fall off – a great opportunity for repeating counting practice!
If you try this Paper Roll Octopus activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram. Happy learning, friends!