Last year when my sister was visiting, we had fun making rainbow paper fortune cookies to learn Chinese greetings. Since my daughter loves rainbows, my sister loves origami, and I’m obsessed with learning Chinese, we were the dream team! Though most people associate fortune cookies with Chinese restaurants, I immediately think of them as a great opportunity for reading practice!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports my blog and free printables at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
Rainbow paper fortune cookies: detailed DIY tutorial
This post will guide you step-by-step on how to make perfect paper fortune cookies! Be sure to check out the video tutorial at the end of the article!
Fortune Cookies: Brief history of this famous treat!
Fortune cookies are often served as a dessert in Chinese restaurants in Western countries, but they are not traditional Chinese food! This history is unclear, but fortune cookies may have originated from Japanese immigrants and then popularized by Californian Chinese immigrants.
Currently, fortune cookies are popular at Chinese take-out restaurants and fine-dining establishments. They are known for their crisp, sweet flavor with a surprise message and “lucky” numbers.
Rainbow paper fortune cookies: What you need to make them
- 8.5″ x11″ colored printer paper
- White printer paper
- Circle template examples:
- Permanent double-sided tape or hot glue (regular tape and glue does not hold well)
Although there are a few video tutorials on YouTube, we realized that it wasn’t quite as easy as depicted. Through trial and error, we discovered ways to save time and also that scoring and folding the paper is important before inserting the fortune message.
We are excited to share our tips so you’ll have an easier time making these compared to when we first tried it!
How to make Rainbow Paper Fortune Cookies
Instructions on preparing message for paper fortune cookie:
- Cut white paper into 0.5″ x 2″ strips.
- Write special messages.
- Set aside.
Instructions on how to make paper fortune cookies:
- Fold printer paper in quarters (i.e., fold it in half vertically, then fold it in half horizontally). This step will save you time & paper.
- Trace circle on the folded paper using a compass (radius 1.75″) or a circle stencil ~4″ in diameter.
- Keep paper folded while cutting. You should now have 4 circles.
- With 1 circle, make a 0.5″ crease at its center with fingernail.
- Unfold the circle
- Flip the paper around and gently bring the edges of the circle together 90 degrees to the crease.
- Press crease in with thumb
- Use opposite thumb and index finger to press cookie edges together. You now have the fortune cookie shape.
- Place 1 message inside circle; length of paper should be 90 degrees to the crease.
- Repeat steps 4-8.
- Place double-sided tape (or glue) in the middle of the cookie to maintain shape.
- Gift the fortune cookie to a special friend! 🙂
Video tutorial for rainbow paper fortune cookies
Pretend play with rainbow fortune cookies!
Have you tried making rainbow paper fortune cookies?
If your family has fun making these Rainbow Paper Fortune Cookies, please let us know!
We love to see how other families do Chinese activities!
More ways to learn and enjoy Chinese culture with children
- Chinese New Year books, audiobooks, and workbooks for children!
- Best 20 Chinese New Year Activities and Crafts for Preschool and Elementary School!
- Playdough Mooncakes – Mid-Autumn Festival Activity with Recipe!
- Mid-Autumn Festival Books for Kids in Chinese & English
- Dragon Boat Festival Printable Chinese Activities for Children