Today’s fun cotton activity focused on the softness of 棉花球 (miánhuā qiú / cotton balls) and the fact that it stretches and can transform into different shapes and sizes!
What better way to learn the Chinese character by “writing” 棉 with 棉!
Our nanny also did a similar activity with my daughter in Korean!
Since my daughter is learning Chinese from me and Korean from her nanny, our nanny and I try to coordinate activities together.
This activity is very easy to do in any language!
What you need:
- Cotton balls
- 棉 block Character template (click here for free download)
What to do:
- Print out templates on color paper to give contrast to the white cotton
- Write 棉 on the template so child can see the normal appearance of the character
- Squeeze glue on block character
- Rip cotton ball into smaller pieces
- Place pieces on 棉 template
- Feel the contrast of both characters. For those who are learning how to write, trace each word following stroke order.
Here’s the final product in both Chinese and Korean!
Afterward, you child can compare the texture with the following educational Chinese activities:
If you try this cotton activity, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo @CHALKAcademy on Instagram and Facebook.
Happy learning, friends!