Pom Pom Color Matching Activity for Kids
Today’s color lesson uses fluffy 棉球 (mián qiú / pom poms, cotton balls)! Pom poms are perfect for sensory play, color matching, and sorting! My 3-year-old daughter had a great time doing this pom pom color matching activity. The soft texture is relaxing, and children can pick up the pom poms with tongs or chopsticks to improve fine motor strength and coordination.
- 棉球 (mián qiú / pom poms, cotton balls)
- 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ / red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
What you need for pom pom color matching:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- Colorful pom poms
- Colorful dot stickers (optional), dot dabbers (dot paint markers), or colored markers
- White paper
- Laminating pouch and laminator (recommended for durability)
- Chopsticks or tongs (optional)
How to set up the pom pom color matching activity:
- Scatter colors randomly across paper
- Label with Chinese characters 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ / red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- Laminate for durability for frequent use among siblings or classmates
- Use hands, tongs, or chopsticks to transfer pom poms to corresponding color
If you try this fine motor pom pom color matching activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram or Facebook.
More hands-on learning activities for kids!
- For more educational sensory activities, check out Writing with Cotton and Writing with Velcro!
- Fun color learning activities can be found in this link!
- To see all activities on this website organized by topic, visit and bookmark this link!
Happy playful learning, friends!