Dot Sticker Color Matching is fun way to get kids to practice colors while learning how to read color names! While younger toddlers practice peeling, sticking, and color recognition, older toddlers and school-aged children can learn the Chinese characters. This activity is great to do with our Giant Color Sorting activity and was inspired by Busy Toddler. In the photos here, our kids are wearing different outfits in each picture because they have enjoyed repeating the activity over and over again!
- 颜色 (Yánsè / colors)
- 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫, 粉 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ, fěn / red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink)
What you need for dot sticker color matching:
Amazon affiliate links provided for convenience
- 8″x11″ Colorful paper (Note: You can also use plain white paper to increase difficulty level so children must match by characters only)
- Laminator (optional)
- Laminator sheets (optional)
- Painter’s tape
- Printable Chinese color names in large Kaiti font*, free download available in:
- Printable dot stickers or blank reusable dot stickers (see tips below for which one to buy)
*Note: Songti font was used for the Chinese characters in the photos. However, I am gradually changing all printables to Kaiti font which better represents stroke order. These printables have been updated to Kaiti font.
How to set up dot sticker color matching:
- Print Chinese color names on colored paper
- Optional: Laminate each sheet (recommended for repeat use)
- Affix colorful sheets to surface with painter’s tape. We placed the colors in rainbow order, but you can also spread them out throughout the room to encourage more exercise! As you can see in the photos, the kids had fun playing with this on the wall as well as the floor!
- Write color names on dot stickers
- Match dot stickers with the corresponding large Chinese character!
- If you can write Chinese, I recommend buying Avery reusable dot stickers so the kids can enjoy peeling and sticking multiple times.
- If you cannot write Chinese, I recommend buying Garage Sale Pup 1″ diameter Color-Coded Neon Labels and typing/printing out the Chinese characters on their template. Please note that this brand is not easily removable. We used it with our laminated color sheets, and it left a sticky residue upon removal.
Have you tried this dot sticker color matching activity?
More color learning activities for kids
- Clothespin Color Matching with Fine Motor Skills and Word Recognition
- 3 Easy Ways to Use Bottle Caps for Color Matching (VIDEO)
- Color Matching Popsicles – Educational Craft for Kids
- Ice Cream Color Matching – Fun Way To Learn Color Names!
- Pom Pom Color Matching Activity for Kids
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to the Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!