Thanksgiving is next week in the United States, and we are just getting around to making our favorite turkey craft! Since this time of year is extra busy, thankfully, these paper roll turkeys are quick to make with children.
First, I’ll show you how we made this easy turkey craft. Then I’ll share how we used it to teach important words of gratitude in 4 languages! I hope you enjoy this Thanksgiving activity with your kids!
This post has some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
Thanksgiving craft to encourage language and discuss gratitude
I love that Thanksgiving is a holiday that encourages us to count our blessings and express gratitude.
For this Thanksgiving craft, we took the opportunity to name everything that we are thankful for in multiple languages. After all, the United States of America is a country of immigrants, and hands-on activities are a great way to encourage speaking minority languages!
In our family, we speak the following languages:
- My husband speaks English and Spanish
- I speak Chinese, and English
- Our nanny speaks English and Korean
- My 4-year-old daughter speaks English, Chinese, and Korean (and hopefully my 1-year-old son is learning along!)
On the feathers, my daughter wrote the English and Korean words (with spelling help), and her Chinese teacher wrote the Chinese words.
Since my husband speaks Spanish, my daughter requested Spanish translations for fun!
The result: quadrilingual thankful paper roll turkeys – say that 10 times fast!
Paper roll turkeys – easiest turkey craft for kids of all ages!
My daughter recently turned 4 years old, and she had fun making these turkey crafts with her 7-year-old friend!
Her friend was able to make the paper roll turkeys independently, and my daughter was able to cut and paste the turkey feathers on her own. However, my daughter needed a little help with writing some of the words on the turkey feathers!
Meanwhile, my 1-year-old son enjoyed watching the girls craft while he played with leftover scraps of construction paper!
Paper roll turkey craft: What you need
- Toilet paper rolls
- Construction paper
- Optional: wiggle eyes!
Paper roll turkey craft: How to make these for Thanksgiving
- Cut construction paper into multiple feathers
- Cut triangle for nose and
- Discuss what’s good in life and write it down on each feather! There’s so much to be grateful for!
- Tape eyes to toilet paper roll
- Tape nose and snood
- If your child is reading, encourage them to practice reading the words on each feather
- Tape the feathers on the middle-back of the paper roll
We are so thankful for God, family, food, clothes, books, teachers, sunshine, among many other things!
Have you tried this easy turkey craft with paper rolls?
If you try this Thanksgiving activity with your children or students, please let us know in the comments below!
We love to hear about how other families are learning Chinese, Korean, English, Spanish, and other languages!
More Thanksgiving Activities and Resources for Children
- 7 Quick Chinese Thanksgiving Activities You Can Do This Weekend!
- 10 Thanksgiving 感恩节 YouTube Videos for Kids in Mandarin Chinese!
- Thanksgiving Books for Young Children in English & Chinese
More Educational Autumn Activities and Resources
- 10 Fun and Free Chinese Teaching Activities with Leaves! (Free Printable)
- 爱心树 The Giving Tree in Chinese and English – Review and Book-Based Activity
- 5 Easy Fine Motor Math Activities with Hole-Punched Leaves!
- 16 Tree and Autumn Books for Kids in Chinese and English