Take out your collection of colorful clothespins (eg, pegs), grab some markers, and find any piece of cardboard or paper, and voilà – an easy color and character learning activity. Clothespin color matching was one of my daughter’s favorite activities when she was 3-4 years old. It’s a great way to exercise fine motor skills while practicing word recognition! Since Chinese is one of my daughter’s 3 languages, I included Chinese characters with this activity.
This post has affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for further details.
- 衣夹 (Yī jiā / clothespin, peg)
- 夹 (Jiā / clip)
- 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫, 粉 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ, fěn/ red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink)
- 原色 (Yuánsè / primary color)
- 二次色 (Èr cì sè / secondary color)
What you need:
How to set up the Clothespin Color Matching:
- Color spots on edge of paper or cardboard. I made 3 different cards – one with all colors, one with primary colors, and one with secondary colors
- Label each colorful spot with corresponding character: 红, 橙, 黄, 绿, 蓝, 紫 (hóng, chéng, huáng, lǜ, lán, zǐ/red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- Clip clothespins to matching color
- Discuss which colors are primary (红, 黄, 蓝) and which are secondary (橙, 绿, 紫)
If you try this Clothespin Color Matching activity, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram!
For kids age 1-2 years, click here to see my Instagram post for ideas and tips on how to teach colors.
Check out these posts for more hands-on activities with clothespins!
Activities with recycled materials (eg, cardboard) can be found under this tag.
Click here to see all activities by topic!
Bilingual Facebook Group
As always, please leave a comment with any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them! Or better yet, please join our Facebook group! Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English is a community of parents worldwide who are excited to share bilingual book recommendations, Montessori tips, and learning materials!
Happy playful learning, friends!