A few months ago, my 老大 learned numerous food names through a cutting and pretend shopping activity. She has asked to play this again several times, and I realized I should make a laminated printable of the foods so that the food is durable and versatile.
So here they are! 7 pages of food organized by color:
- 红 (hóng / red)
- 橙 (chéng / orange)
- 黄 (huáng / yellow)
- 绿 (lǜ / green)
- 蓝 (lán / blue)
- 紫 (zǐ / purple)
- 棕 (zōng / brown)
Basically, these are flashcards disguised as pretend play! Each character is clearly visible, and the definition is obvious by the shape of the food. Through pretend play, your kids are essentially looking at the flashcards repeatedly and will memorize the characters more easily.
What you need:
Amazon Affiliate links provided for convenience
Please review the Terms & Conditions before downloading any materials.
What to do:
- Print templates on colorful paper
- Laminate each sheet
- Cut outside of the black lines
Here are our Korean flashcards:
Educational play ideas:
- Cooking (we love our Melissa & Doug pots and pans)
- Eating (we love our Avanchy baby bamboo feeding set)
- Match with other pretend food
- Match different language versions (eg, simplified and traditional Chinese, English and Chinese, Chinese & Korean)
- Sorting by food group
If you use these pretend food flashcards, please let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram and Facebook. Happy learning, friends!