Last week, 老大 and I made trilingual craft stick ornaments! Since craft stick trees and snowflakes are easy to make, they would be fun activities throughout winter. On each ornament, we first wrote messages in my children’s 3 languages:
- Chinese: 圣诞快乐 (Shèngdàn kuàilè)
- Korean: 메리 크리스마스 (meli keuliseumaseu)
- English: Merry Christmas
Then we decorated the ornaments with shiny gems, stars, and strings and gave them as holiday gifts for her nanny, teachers, and friends! Everybody loved these handmade presents!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports our educational tips at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
What you need for craft stick ornaments:
- Craft sticks (plain or colored)
- Tinsel cord or other festive ribbon
- Star stickers
- Jewel stickers
- Sharpie marker
The great thing about this activity is that most or all steps can be done independently by the child! This is really important so your child can be proud about making the craft stick ornaments. Plus the decorating is an excellent way to hone in on those fine motor skills!
How to make craft stick ornaments:
- Start with painting if you’re using plain craft sticks. If you’re using pre-colored ones, skip to the next step!
- Assemble the craft stick ornament trees into triangles and glue the ends together. For the snowflake ornaments, criss-cross each stick and glue the sticks together at the center.
- Write a message on each craft stick ornament.
- Decorate each ornament
- Wrap tinsel cord (or other pretty ribbon) around each ornament, which can also be used to hang the ornament!
Have you tried making craft stick ornaments?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below! What age(s) are your kid(s) and how did it go? We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
Interactive, Hands-On Chinese Christmas activities
My daughter and I love Christmas crafts, and we have used these projects as fun ways to review Chinese characters.
Check out these 15 Easy, Hands-On Christmas Crafts and Activities for Kids!
Learning activities for every topic!
To sign up for our educational newsletter, please click the button below.
What is your child interested in today? Click below to explore activities and books that your child will love.
Holiday shopping guide for kids
If you’re shopping for holiday gifts, check out our educational gift guides!
- Ultimate Gift Guide for Kids Learning Chinese!
- 10 Best Toys For Children That Promote Creativity and Learning
- Favorite Jigsaw Puzzles for Kids of All Ages
- The Best Human Anatomy Toys and Science Gifts for Kids
- Favorite Educational Montessori Toys on Etsy