Every Easter, my daughter and I have a special tradition of making cardboard cross craft decorations together! With cardboard and everyday art supplies (scrap paper, washi tape, yarn), this family project can also be used as bookmarks or turned into garlands!
Cardboard crosses are also fun and simple enough for Sunday school crafts or an independent art project for kids.
Decorating these cardboard crosses also involves a lot of repetition which can be helpful as a calming and relaxing activity while listening to bible stories or worship music like Stream of Praise.
Chalk Academy is reader-supported. Some of the links are affiliate links. When you buy something through an affiliate link, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. More details here.
Why is the Cross important?
Jesus Christ died on the cross, and the cross represents His sacrifice for all of our sins.
复活节 / 復活節 (Fùhuó jié / Easter) is Resurrection Sunday, the return of Jesus Christ after the Crucifixion.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. – John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
神爱世人，甚至把他的独生子赐给他们，叫一切信他的，不至灭亡，反得永生。 – 约翰福音 3:16 Chinese New Version Simplified (CNVS)
神愛世人，甚至把他的獨生子賜給他們，叫一切信他的，不至滅亡，反得永生。 – 约翰福音 3:16 Chinese New Version Traditional (CNVT)
Important Easter vocabulary in Chinese and English:
Since many of you are learning Chinese with your kids like our family, I try to include important translations in each of these posts.
These translations are in simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, and Hanyu Pinyin
- 复活节 / 復活節 (Fùhuó jié / Easter)
- 复活 (Fùhuó / Resurrection)
- 耶稣 / 耶穌 (Yēsū / Jesus)
- 十字架 (Shízìjià / Cross)
- 耶稣爱我们 / 耶穌愛我們 (Yēsū ài wǒmen / Jesus loves us)
- 他已经复活了! / 他已經復活了！ (Tā yǐjīng fùhuóle! / He has risen!)
Cardboard Cross Craft for Easter and Sunday School!
Here are the following materials that you might consider for your cardboard Easter cross crafts:
- 硬纸板 / 硬紙板 (Yìng zhǐbǎn / Cardboard) from packages, boxes (eg, appliances, cereal, tissues)
- 铅笔 / 鉛筆 (Qiānbǐ / Pencil)
- 剪刀 (Jiǎndāo / Scissors)
- 尺子 (Chǐ zi / Ruler)
- Optional art supplies:
- 彩色铅笔 / 彩色鉛筆 (Cǎisè qiānbǐ / Colored pencils)
- 闪光胶 / 閃光膠 (Shǎnguāng jiāo / Glitter glue)
- 宝石贴纸 / 寶石貼紙 (Bǎoshí tiēzhǐ / Gemstone stickers)
- 纸胶带 / 紙膠帶 (Zhǐ jiāodài / Washi tape)
- 废纸 / 廢紙 (Fèi zhǐ / Scrap paper)
- 毛线 / 毛線 (Máo xiàn / Yarn)
- Anything your child wants to use!
3 Simple Easter crafts for kids
1. Scrap paper cardboard Easter cross
Even scraps can be made beautiful with God’s love!
All you need are color paper scraps cut or ripped into small confetti-like pieces. This is great fine motor practice for young children.
Then apply glue to the cardboard and decorate as desired!
2. Washi tape wrapped cardboard Easter cross
Cut washi tape a little longer than the width of the cross and wrap around the edges.
If you cut it too short, it will not wrap well.
3. Yarn-wrapped cardboard cross craft
Pick a color and cut off a long piece of yarn.
Secure one end of the yarn behind the cardboard with tape.
Then wrap, wrap, wrap!
When finished, tape or tie the loose end.
Have you tried these cardboard Easter cross crafts?
If you try any of these cross decorations for Easter, let us know in the comments!