For the past few years, I have sung 小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) in Chinese to my children every night! This was one of the first Chinese songs that we learned when starting our Chinese language journey a little over 2 years ago. Therefore, I knew the song would be great for reading practice. Last year, with black construction paper, white crayons, and shiny star stickers, I set up an invitation-to-learn for my daughter! In addition to providing great practice with learning how to read lyrics, and improving fine motor precision, the constellation patterns turned out pretty!
This post has affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for further details.
What you need:
How to prepare the 小星星 constellation sticker activity
- Fold construction paper into quarters
- Cut along creases.
- Write each character name with dashed lines with white crayon.
- Arrange characters in proper order
- Affix stickers to dashed lines
Note: This hands-on Chinese activity would perfect for a solar system learning unit! Additional recommended materials include:
- National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space (Chinese and English)
- Solar system magnets
- Solar system puzzle – 48 pieces
- Solar system puzzle – 100 pieces
- Solar system puzzle – 200 pieces Of these 3 puzzles, the last one is the best in my opinion. The pictures are most realistic and show the planets in proper order.
Below are the lyrics for 小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) in English, simplified Chinese, and Pinyin. The song is part of a wonderful album, “A Little Mandarin”, which you can download here.
小星星 (Xiǎo xīng xīng / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Chinese Lyrics
Mǎn tiān dōu shì xiǎo xīng xīng