When my daughter was 2, I decided to learn Chinese with her. Initially, she was resistant to new Mandarin words and would demand, “No more Chinese, mommy!” Thankfully, Chinese music won her heart! Four years later, Chinese songs continue to spark her interest in speaking Chinese and she likes to sing with her little brother!
Teach Kids to Love Chinese with Music
Singing and dancing to Chinese music are fun and inviting ways to learn Chinese!
Through Chinese songs, kids are exposed to key elements of language: common vocabulary, rhythm, and word patterns. As they listen and sing favorite Chinese songs over and over again, they become familiar with new words and phrases.
Warming up with Chinese translations of English songs
These familiar tunes bridged the difficult and daunting transition of learning Chinese.
Growing to love original Chinese music
Over time, we grew to love popular Chinese songs for kids.
我有一雙小小手 (Wǒ yǒu yī shuāng xiǎo xiǎo shǒu / I Have a Pair of Hands) and 一分钱 (Yī fēn qián / One Penny) is often on replay. My kids also listen to 讚美之泉 Stream of Praise music everyday!
Now, my daughter is 5 years old, and she loves to put on pretend concerts with her 2-year-old brother!
The kids will decide which CD to put in their CD player or request a song on my iPhone.
Then they grab markers to serve as imaginary microphones and start belting out Chinese tunes together!
Now that my daughter is writing Chinese, she loves to copy her favorite song lyrics!
Important Chinese vocabulary
- 儿歌 / 兒歌 (Érgē / Children’s songs)
- 唱歌 (Chànggē / Sing songs)
- 歌曲 (Gēqǔ / Song)
- 音乐 / 音樂 (Yīnyuè / Music)
- 让我们一起唱歌 / 讓我們一起唱歌 (Ràng wǒmen yīqǐ chànggē / Let’s sing together)
- 让我们再唱吧 / 讓我們再唱吧! (Ràng wǒmen zài chàng ba! / Let’s sing it again!)
- 我喜欢这首歌 / 我喜歡這首歌 . (Wǒ xǐhuān zhèshǒu gē / I like this song。)
- 你最喜欢的歌是什么？/ 你最喜歡的歌是什麼? (Nǐ zuì xǐhuān de gē shì shénme? / What’s your favorite song?)
Top Chinese Music Albums for Kids
Here is a list of our favorite, non-screechy Mandarin Chinese children’s music albums which include over 100+ Chinese songs that you can explore!
I have low tolerance for nails-on-a-chalkboard voices and don’t understand why children’s songs are frequently off-pitch.
Which Chinese children’s songs should my family learn first?
Although there are many options, please don’t feel like you need to get all of them!
Instead, start with a one or two albums. Gradually expand your playlist as your family outgrows prior songs.
For details of all albums, please lick on the links to preview each album in iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, and/or 喜马拉雅 Ximalaya FM.
I hope that your family can discover favorite Chinese songs and learn new lyrics together!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports my blog and free printables at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
MandaRhymes has free Chinese music for kids with highlighted traditional Chinese characters and Pinyin text to help with pronunciation.
2. A Little Mandarin
A Little Mandarin was produced by a Chinese-American mom of trilingual children!
This was the first Chinese album that I purchased for my family.
The vocals are very clear and pleasant, and this is always the first CD that I recommend to families learning Chinese.
- Make A Phone Call – 打电话
- Two Tigers – 两只老虎
- Little Duckling – 小鸭子
- Sitting In A Row – 排排坐
- [Twinkle Twinkle] Little Star – 小星星
- Scale Song – 音阶歌
- Going To School Song – 上学歌
- Find A Friend – 找朋友
- I Have A Pair Of Little Hands – 我有一双小小手
- Rowing The Boat – 划船
- Pulling The Radish – 拔萝卜
- Doll And Little Bear Dancing – 洋娃娃和小熊跳舞
- One Penny – 一分钱
- Rock-A-Bye – 摇啊摇
- Happy Birthday – 生日快乐
BONUS TRACK: Happy New Year – 新年好
3. Shanghai Restoration Project – Little Dragon Tales: Chinese Children’s Songs
Little Dragon Tales is a collection of 12 classic Chinese Children’s songs with a modern twist featuring the voices of the Yip’s Canada Children’s Choir.
- Making Friends (Zhao Peng You)
- Where Is Spring? (Chun Tian Zai Na Li?)
- Clay Doll (Ni Wa Wa)
- Two Tigers (Liang Zhi Lao Hu)
- Congratulations (Gong Xi Gong Xi)
- Sticky Dumplings for Sale (Mai Tang Yuan)
- Selling Newspapers (Mai Bao Ge)
- Finding Flowers in the Snow (Ta Xue Xun Mei)
- The Schoolboy (Du Shu Lang)
- Feng Yang Flower Drum (Feng Yang Hua Gu)
- Little Swallow (Xiao Yan Zi)
- Little White Boat (Xiao Bai Chuan)
- Dreaming of Home and Mother
4. Kids Learn Mandarin – I Can Sing in Mandarin!
I Can Sing in Mandarin! is a collection of Chinese songs about regular, everyday life.
This is a great album for broadening basic Chinese vocabulary.
- I Can Count In Mandarin
- Colors Outside My Window
- Little Animals
- One Red Apple
- My Family
- Head, Shoulders, Tummy, Hands
- Let’s Get Dressed for School
- Boats, Cars, & Planes
- Let’s Play!
- I have a Little House
- My Favorite Food
- Smile to the Sun
5. Kim Hsieh Chinese songs for kids 謝欣芷 幸福的孩子愛唱歌
Kim Hsieh’s music is always a big hit with my children!
The catchy tunes can help improve everyday vocabulary.
- 哈囉歌, 第一幕, 2. 五官, 3. 第二幕, 4. 禮貌歌, 5. 第三幕, 6, 幸福的孩子愛唱歌, 7, 第四幕, 8, 手指運動, 9. 第五幕, 10. 第五幕, 11. 親愛的, 謝謝妳, 12. 第六幕, 13. 水果歌, 14. 第七幕, 15. 音樂魔法, 16. 第八幕, 17. 數星星, 18. 第九幕, 19. 寶貝乖乖睡
- 哈囉歌, 2. 五官, 3. 禮貌歌, 4. 幸福的孩子愛唱歌, 5. 手指運動, 6. 親愛的，謝謝妳, 7. 水果歌, 8. 音樂魔法, 9. 數星星, 10. 數星星(bonus 童音版), 11. 寶貝乖乖睡, 12. 五官(伴唱版), 13. 禮貌歌(伴唱版), 14. 幸福的孩子愛唱歌(伴唱版）, 15. 手指運動(伴唱版), 16. 親愛的，謝謝妳(伴唱版), 17. 水果歌(伴唱版), 18. 音樂魔法(伴唱版), 19. 數星星(伴唱版), 20. 寶貝乖乖睡(伴唱版)
6. 讚美之泉 Stream of Praise Music Ministries
Please refer to our review of the various Stream of Praise Chinese Christian songs and printable lyrics!
7. Chinese Christmas Music: Merry Christmas – Black Duck
- Silent Night (Chinese)
- Silent Night (English)
- Ode to Joy (Chinese)
- Oh, Susana (Chinese)
- Christmas Day (Chinese)
- Jingle Bells (Chinese)
- Jingle Bells (English)
- Edelweiss (Chinese)
- Edelweiss (English)
- Do Re Mi (Chinese)
- Serenade (Chinese)
- Merry Christmas (Chinese)
- Flowers in Bud (Chinese)
- Song of Boat (Chinese)
- Auld Lang Syne (Chinese)
- Song of Cradle (Chinese)
- Hand in Hand (Chinese)
Related: Chinese Christmas Music on YouTube!
8. All is Love 爱你爱我 – Hoop Kids
9. Children Playground 儿童乐园 – Hoop Kids
10. Hoops Kids – My Honey Baby 亲亲我的宝贝 – Hoop Kids
11. The Sky Tree 天空树 – Hoop Kids
12. The Sweet Home 宝贝我的家 – Hoop Kids
13. The Love River 孩子的暖暖河 – Hoop Kids
14. Welcome Happiness! 快乐，快乐一直来 – Hoop Kids
You can find more free Chinese music for kids on Ximalaya by searching “儿歌.”
儿歌 (Érgē) is the Chinese translation for “Children’s Song.”
More Chinese Songs for Kids
Check out other great Chinese songs for children, including printable lyrics for:
If you have tweens or teens, here are some of our favorite Chinese Mandopop Music: Pop, Rock, and Hip Hop Songs!
What are your family’s favorite Chinese songs?
Please let me know if I should add more to this list!
Have fun singing and dancing to Chinese music!