My toddler son is gradually learning to count, and we have been practicing counting ornaments on our Christmas tree! To help reinforce his number sense while strengthening fine motor skills, I set up this Christmas tree number matching activity.
Since the holidays tend to be extra busy for families, I created a free printable template with Chinese numbers (一,二,三 yī,’èr, sān) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc).
Keep reading for the free printable, instructions, and teaching tips for toddlers and preschoolers!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports my blog and free printables at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
Important vocabulary related to Christmas and counting
For my bilingual readers, here is a reference list of key terms related to this Christmas tree counting and number matching activity!
- 一，二，三，四，五，六，七，八, 九, 十… (yī, èr, sān, sì, wǔ, liù, qī, bā, jiǔ, shí… / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
- 圣诞节 / 聖誕節 (Shèngdàn jié / Christmas)
- 圣诞树 / 聖誕樹 (Shèngdàn shù / Christmas tree)
- 聖誕飾品 Shèngdàn shìpǐn
- 数字 / 數字 (Shùzì / Numbers)
Skills developed with Christmas tree number matching activity
- Fine motor skills (cutting, pegging, writing if older siblings help prep)
- One-to-one correspondance
- Meaningful counting
- Pattern recognition
- Color recognition
Christmas tree number matching and counting activity: What you need
Please review the Terms & Conditions before downloading any materials. © CHALK ACADEMY. Do not share any files without permission from chalkacademy.com. Only this website link may be shared.
- Free printable triangle template – click on the link below to download the desired language version
- Green cardstock paper
- Small dot stickers, pearl stickers, or rhinestone stickers (we got ours from the Dollar store)
- Suggested: Small tray (or box lid) + bowl to organize activity
Christmas tree number matching and counting activity: How to set it up
- Print template
- Cut along solid lines
- Write numbers on clothespins. This is the “tree stump” If no clothes pins, can also use brown paper or cardboard squares to represent tree stumps.
- On the blank side of paper, add corresponding stickers to trees. These are the “ornaments.”
- Have child match tree stump to number of ornaments and check the back if the number matches!
Tips for setting up the activity to maximize learning:
- To create a pattern, I started with the same color sticker (eg, red on tree number 1) and then added the other colored stickers in the same order
- The number on the back of each tree serves as a control if the child is not sure if he or she has chosen the correct “tree stump.”
- Use textured stickers for a tactile counting experience!
Did you try this Christmas Tree number matching activity?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below! What age(s) are your kid(s) and how did it go? We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
Interactive, Hands-On Chinese Christmas activities
My daughter and I love Christmas crafts, and we have used these projects as fun ways to review Chinese characters.
Check out these 15 Easy, Hands-On Christmas Crafts and Activities for Kids!
Math Learning Activities for kids
Math is all around us, and here’s How I’m Teaching My Children Basic Math For Free and Without Workbooks!
Holiday shopping guide for kids
If you’re shopping for holiday gifts, check out our educational gift guides!
- 5 Reasons Books are the Best Gift for Multilingual Kids
- Ultimate Gift Guide for Kids Learning Chinese!
- 10 Best Toys For Children That Promote Creativity and Learning
- Favorite Jigsaw Puzzles for Kids of All Ages
- Recommended Human Anatomy Toys | Science Gifts for Kids
- Favorite Educational Montessori Inspired Toys from Etsy
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to the Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!