Christmas is our favorite holiday, and one of favorite advent activities includes this trilingual Paper Chain Snowman Christmas Countdown!
We love paper chain countdowns because it’s a very visual way to kids to know how many days are left until Christmas. It gives then a concrete sense of time, especially as they learn about the calendar.
Plus, my kids find the ripping part very exciting… ha!
To minimize prep time for our family and yours, I’m sharing a printable template for the paper chain snowmen in Chinese, Korean, and English!
Countdown to Christmas in Chinese, Korean, and English with Paper Chain snowmen!
Both of my children can’t wait for Christmas and constantly ask: 到十二月二十五日要多久？(Dào shí’èr yuè èrshíwǔ rì yào duōjiǔ? How long until December 25?). They know the day is special because of Jesus’ birthday, and we get to spend quality family time together!
I first created this printable paper chain snowman activity years ago when my oldest child was learning how to count backwards.
As you can see in the image below, that year we hung up snowmen family without hats. Since we live in sunny California, my daughter said the snowmen were too hot for winter hats! 🙂
Now my youngest child is 3 years old, learning how to count in Chinese, Korean, and English! We are excited to use the paper chain snowmen to celebrate advent in all 3 languages!
This post has some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I make a small commission to support this blog at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for details.
Important Christmas countdown vocabulary in English, Chinese, Pinyin, and Korean
Since my kids are learning Chinese and Korean as minority languages, I took some notes on the translations for other non-fluent parents who have found this list to be helpful!
- Christmas = 圣诞节 / 聖誕節 (Shèngdàn jié); 크리스마스
- Start the countdown = 开始倒数 / 開始倒數 (Kāishǐ dàoshǔ); 카운트 타운 시작
- Numbers = 数字 / 數字 (Shùzì); 숫자
- Snowmen = 雪人 (Xuěrén); 눈사람
What you need for Paper Chain Snowman Christmas Countdown:
Please review the Terms & Conditions before downloading any materials.
- White paper
- Black paper
- Small piece of cardboard
- Paper chain Snowman template – click on the links below for free downloads in 3 languages:
- Orange marker
- Scissors and/or paper cutter
- Optional for hanging: Clothespins and cotton twine string or painter’s tape
How to set up Paper Chain Snowman Christmas Countdown
How to create the paper chain snowman
- Print template on white paper
- Cut paper along dotted lines
- Use orange marker to draw carrot nose for snowman’s face
- Loop and tape the rings together with 5 links attached to each snowman face
- Optional: If you prefer to make one long paper chain snowman instead of a snowman family of 5 paper chains, simply recycle the extra smiley faces and connect all of the numbers together!
How to create a top hat for the paper chain snowman
- Draw top hat shape onto cardboard
- Cut out cardboard top hat
- Trace cardboard hat template onto black construction paper
- cut out
How to prepare paper chain snowman for Christmas countdown
- Hang paper chains with clothespins and string
- Starting on December 1, remove 1 paper ring each day!
Here’s a side view of how the numbers look on each paper chain!
And here’s how each paper chain snowman are hung on our wall this year! To keep things simple, I just taped them up with painter’s tape.
My toddler is really impressed at the length the paper chain snowmen, and we are ready for our trilingual Christmas countdown to begin!!
Have you tried the Paper Chain Snowman Christmas Countdown activity?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below!
We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
Save this educational Christmas countdown activity on Pinterest!
DIY Christmas Countdown with Bible Verses and Free Envelope Printable
If you’re looking for more educational and meaningful advent activities, here is a DIY Christmas countdown that we created as a family last year!
We wrote bible verses for each day of the month, and I’ve included free mini envelope printables that you can use!
Click here to learn more about Christmas Advent Countdown with 25 Envelopes, Bible Verses, & Messages.
More Christmas Activities for Kids
Here is another snowman countdown that we have done in the past! Read more about the Christmas snowman countdown and other easy Christmas crafts this post!
If you’re looking for more Christmas activities, click here to see all Christmas learning activities!
Seasonal learning activities for kids!
Here are some other fun winter activities that my kids have enjoyed:
- Montessori Inspired Paper Plate Seasons Puzzle
- 15 Easy, Hands-On Christmas Crafts and Activities for Kids
- 10 Christmas Music Videos on YouTube
- 冬至节 (Dongzhi Festival) 九九消寒图 Activities with Printable Chinese Poem
- 5 冬至节 (Dongzhi Festival / Winter Solstice) YouTube Videos in Chinese
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to the Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!
Holiday shopping guide for kids
- 5 Reasons Books are the Best Gift for Multilingual Kids
- Favorite Educational Montessori Inspired Toys from Etsy
- Ultimate Gift Guide for Kids Learning Chinese!
- 10 Best Toys For Children That Promote Creativity and Learning