Yin-Yang 阴 (yīn / dark) and 阳 (yáng / light, sunny): two opposing yet complementary and interdependent forces of nature! Together with my daughter, we made a Yin-Yang Paper Plate Puzzle to learn more about the important symbol in Chinese culture!
What is Yin and Yang?
Since my daughter is still young, I kept the lesson fairly simple.
We discussed how opposites depend on each other to make a whole, such as day and night, man and woman, hot and cold.
For example, we previously learned the Chinese characters 阴阳 in the context of weather with sun and cloud stickers.
Today, we delved into the symbolism of 阴阳 and how it represents opposites.
We also painted paper plates and used yin-yang to learn color patterns!
In the future, we’ll discuss other examples of yin-yang, such as masculine versus feminine, positive versus negative, etc.
DIY Yin Yang puzzle craft: What you need
- Paint – I used acrylic paint because the color is vibrant, but please note that the smell is a bit strong when the paint is wet.
- White paper plates – we bought from Amazon, but you can also find these inexpensive ones at the dollar store!
- Circle template
How to make yin-yang puzzles:
- Draw edge of yin-yang semi-circles on paper plate. Tip: As shown in the above photo, I used the cut edge of one plate to trace lines on other plates.
- Use pencil to trace circles on plate
- Cut plate with scissors
- Paint each paper plate with 2 colors. For example: paint one half blue with a red dot; paint the other half red with a blue dot.
In the photos here, I decided to make 3 paper plates with primary colors and 3 paper plates with secondary colors.
Then, I mixed up the pieces and put it a tray to keep the pieces organized and easily accessible.
My daughter was very curious about this new puzzle! It was so fun to see her figure out the pattern and complete each puzzle!
Have you tried making this Yin Yang Paper Plate puzzle?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below! What age(s) are your kid(s) and how did it go? We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
More Chinese culture and language activities for kids
- Supplement this puzzle with the Yin-Yang Weather Stickers activity!
- Here are the best 20 Chinese New Year Activities and Crafts for Home and School!
- Make a Cardboard Chinese Lunar New Year Market for Kids!
- Read these realistic Lunar New Year books in Chinese and English!
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to our Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!
Let’s stay in touch
As always, let me know if you have any questions in the comments. I’ll try my best to answer them!
Follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities!
On Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate learning Chinese & Korean (minority languages) in our daily life.
And I’d love to chat more with you about favorite books at @chalkacademybooks!