Here’s a list of educational Chinese apps that we use, have used in the past, or have been highly recommended by other parents. I have included popular Chinese audiobooks and music apps, math, science, and writing, as well as dictionaries.
As a pediatrician, I believe in limiting screen time for health reasons. Each app is supplemental and not a primary means of learning Mandarin Chinese. With a few exceptions, I have not included Chinese game apps, because I strongly believe in encouraging tactile and interactive learning. Compared to real-life experiences and hands-on activities/games, apps are not as effective for expanding Chinese vocabulary in young children. However, they can serve as additional sources of language exposure, especially for non-fluent families in a monolingual community.
The titles here are linked to iTunes so that you can preview the app.
**Denotes default language is English; Mandarin Chinese must be selected via Settings.
Some of these apps may not work with certain mobile devices, depending on the version of the operating system.
Please note that we have no relationship with any of these app developers. iTunes affiliate links are provided for convenience.
Chinese Dictionary Apps
Chinese Audiobooks & Music Apps
- Ximalaya – Please see this post for a how-to guide, and this post for recommended stories.
- Bible App for Kids**
- Holy Bible**
- 2Kids爱阅读 – 快乐识字和儿童故事阅读
Chinese TV Show App
Chinese Vocabulary App
Chinese Science Apps
- Solar System 飞向太空
- Solar System 宇宙探秘－带你了解宇宙中的奥秘
- World Map 世界政区地图
- Human Anatomy 人体解剖和生理学-解剖图谱生物学考试必备
- Human Anatomy 3d人体解剖生理学-人体医学肌肉解剖图谱
- 《國家地理》雜誌中文版 CT: National Geographic Magazine
Chinese Math Apps
- 2Kids Math
- Montessori Geometry – Recognize and learn shapes**
- Count to 10: Learn Numbers with Montessori**
- Montessori 1st Operations – addition & subtraction made simple**
- Montessori Numberland**
- Montessori Math City**
- Montessori Math: Add & Subtract Large Numbers**
- Montessori Math: Multiplication**
Chinese Writing Apps
Chinese Cultural App
- Relative translator 三姑六婆 Lite – 親戚稱呼計算機
Other Chinese learning resources for kids:
- Educational Chinese YouTube Channels
- Chinese books for children
- Chinese music for children
- Fun, hands-on Chinese learning activities!
If you know of other educational Chinese resources for children, please leave a comment so we all can check it out!
Recommended articles about how to teach kids Chinese
If you need tips on how to teach your child Chinese, these posts are for you!
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent
- 10 Ways to Get Your Child to Read Throughout the Day
- 6 Fun Ways to Assess Reading Comprehension With Kids!