端午节 (Duānwǔ Jié / Dragon Boat Festival) is a traditional Chinese holiday that commemorates the life and death of the famous scholar (屈原 / Qūyuán). This year, 端午节 will occur on Monday, June 18, 2018. As a second-generation Chinese-American, I grew up in a small town in the United States, so I only heard about 端午节 through stories from my parents years ago. Now, I am learning about Chinese holidays with my 4-year-old daughter 老大 (lǎodà / oldest child). We are doing Dragon Boat Festival printables from Fortune Cookie Mom and watching YouTube videos about Dragon Boat Festival! I’m excited to share my review of these fun and educational printables and special chance to WIN the Dragon Boat Theme Pack!!! Giveaway details at the end of the post!
Disclaimer: We received a Dragon Boat Festival Theme Pack in exchange for review. As usual, all opinions are my own or my family.
Review of Dragon Boat Festival Printables
Fortune Cookie Mom is a website with a wealth of educational Chinese printables for young children learning Chinese! She asked me if I would be interested in receiving a complimentary copy of any printable, and I was excited to choose the Dragon Boat theme pack! There are so many activities included and the printables come in 6 language versions:
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese with Pinyin
- Simplified Chinese with Pinyin
- English & Traditional Chinese
- English & Simplified Chinese
We chose the simplified Chinese only version since 老大 is learning to read simplified Chinese without pinyin. My Chinese reading skills are improving gradually; I don’t want to rely on it when reading the words with her, so I just write in pinyin as needed.
What I love about Fortune Cookie Mom’s Chinese Theme Packs
- Several language options
- Organized table of contents
- 40+ pages of various activities!
- Suggested age range for each activity
- Beautiful, detailed, colorful illustrations
- Large, easy-to-read font
- Perfect for the busy parent
- Very helpful for the non-fluent parent
- Theme packs at different price points; this full theme pack currently costs $12 USD
- You can get free Chinese vocab book and mini story book to supplement the theme pack!!
- The mini books on her website come with audio in:
- Mandarin Chinese
- The fact that these printables were created by a homeschooling mom of 4 kids who enjoy learning from the printables!
The large variety of activities include puzzles, tracing, writing, math, games, matching, and coloring! The printables pack is geared mostly for preschoolers and kindergartners, but I know other families that used these for children ranging from age 3 to age 8!
How we are using the Dragon Boat Festival printables
- Tips on using the printables:
- I suggest looking over the packet with your child before printing it out so you can see what your child is interested in. For example, 老大 tends to have a favorite activity and then want to repeat it over and over again and skip around to other activities! She went through a phase where she just wanted to color the picture of 粽子 (zòngzi / sticky rice) over and over again! This is why I prefer using printables instead buying workbooks!
- I recommend using a laminator and laminating pouches so that many of the activities can be repeated! This is especially useful if you have more than one kid! If you don’t have a laminator, you can also put some of the activity sheets inside sheet protectors for repeat use!
- I set up the printables on our Montessori-inspired shelves into different trays so that 4-year-old 老大 could decide on which activity she wants to do.
- The printables will be stored in a binder with sheet protectors so we can reuse them next year!
- Initially, I was worried that 老大 would find the activities too easy. She does 200-piece puzzles and 1st-grade math and Chinese, but she spontaneously showed interest in the activities as I was preparing them!
- I have seen her play with the 2-piece puzzles and the 6-piece puzzles several times on her own!
- The Montessori-style 3-part cards are always a bit hit for my daughter because they are also like puzzles. For the words that were new to me, I wrote pinyin on the back before laminating the cards.
- She really enjoyed the size sequencing of the nine 粽子 cards!
- Even though 老二 is only 20 months old, there are two activities that I am adapting to his level so far:
- Color matching drums – I don’t expect him to recognize the color but to notice and match the color of the characters with the corresponding drums
- 粽子 size sequencing – I am presenting two different sized 粽子 pictures and teaching him how to compare big and small.
More Chinese activities!
Below is a shape tracing activity, but it can also be used for cutting practice with scissors!
Here are the math work sheets! I like that she has the math symbols and also the Chinese words for more character recognition!
Lastly, here are some of the coloring sheets! Aren’t the details of the illustrations so lovely?! My daughter used them with her favorite Lyra colored pencils. Her favorite is the 粽子 coloring page! Good thing I was able to print out multiple pages of her favorite sheet at no additional cost!
Although a balanced review should have downsides, I am honestly straining to think of any. Perhaps one would be that I wish the picture for 夏天 (xiàtiān / summer day) was something like a beach or sunshine and not kids eating watermelon. My 20-month-old thinks the picture is about eating, but the other images were obvious to him! Another consideration is that there is no zhuyin language option. However, zhuyin is an option she may add in the future!
In summary, I highly recommend the Dragon Boat Festival Theme Pack from Fortune Cookie Mom!
For your reference, this is a list of activities in the Dragon Boat Festival Printables from the Table of Contents:
- Matching Game
- Penmanship practice sheets
- Dragon Boat Festival or Not
- Word Puzzles
- Vocab Clip Cards
- Chinese Number Clip Cards
- Color Matching
- Size Sorting
- Size sequencing
- Shapes Tracing
- Roll & Count
- Writing Numbers
- Which One is Different?
- Humans vs Objects
- Coloring pages
I hope this review gives a clear overview of the variety of activities in Fortune Cookie Mom’s Dragon Boat Festival Printables! Definitely check out her website store or her Teachers Pay Teachers store where you can buy printable theme packs in Chinese! And don’t forget about her Chinese mini books and audio for Dragon Boat festival!
- This contest will run from May 30, 2018 – June 2, 2018, 9pm PST.
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old.
- Open worldwide!
- TWO lucky winners will be selected at random.
- Each winner will receive the Dragon Boat Festival Theme Pack from Fortune Cookie Mom
- To enter the contest:
- Follow and “Like” CHALK Academy AND Fortune Cookie Mom on Facebook (Remember to set the settings to “See First” so you don’t miss a post!) 🙂
- “Like” this Facebook post about the giveaway
- Write a comment with your child’s favorite Chinese book!
- For extra chances to win, list additional books as separate comments (eg, 1 tag per comment = 1 entry)
- Winner must have a valid email address.
This giveaway is neither associated nor endorsed by Facebook. Winner will be contacted by Facebook messenger after June 2nd. Good luck!!
If you’d like to learn more about Dragon Boat Festival, check out these educational YouTube Videos!
For more educational Chinese YouTube videos, please visit our list of recommended channels and bookmark the link! I update it regularly with YouTube channels that have great learning content for kids!
To learn about other holidays, check out these fun, hands-on Chinese activities!
As always, please let me know if you have any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them! Please leave a note in the comments!
You can also follow me on Facebook where I share my latest posts as well as favorite articles about children’s education, Chinese resources, and hands-on activities from other websites! In addition, on Instagram, I share activity highlights and how we integrate Chinese-learning in our daily family life!
Happy learning, friends!