I’m very excited to share our favorite Chinese books for kids: the iSuper Science series 中文小博士!
Both of my kids (18-month-old son and 4.5-year-old daughter) love to look at the beautiful photographs, and the text is easy to read! We have levels 1 and 2, and they are perfect for children (and adults!) who are learning Chinese.
When you see the examples of what’s included in these Chinese science books, you’ll see why we love them so much! Information about where to buy is included at the end of the post.
This post has affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for further details.
iSuper Science Books 中文小博士
- Authors: Marisa Fang, Zhining Chin
- Publisher: Higher Education Publishing House, China
- Language version: Simplified Chinese (Level 1); Simplified Chinese and pinyin (Levels 2 and 3)
- Type: Nonfiction book
- Level: Elementary school (Kindergarten through 5th grade)
Detailed review of iSuper Science Chinese Books
iSuper Science Books: Background
iSuper Chinese Little Ph.D. Chinese Teaching Resources is a series of science books for elementary school students.
The books were written for American Mandarin immersion programs, but they are perfect for any child learning Chinese.
The series has a total of 6 levels; each level has 3 sets, and each set includes 4 books. Each set has a teacher companion, but the teacher version is not widely available.
Levels 4-5 have not been published yet.
The topics of the science books are common and relevant to children’s interests.
Level 1 gives an overview of fish life, fabrics, trees. The selected topics seem random to me, but my daughter found each of the books to be fascinating!
Level 2 is a little broader and reviews Earth Structure, Insects, and matter.
iSuper Science language and font
The text in the level 1 books are in simplified Chinese only. However, if you cannot read Chinese, don’t worry! Since each page has few words, adding pinyin with Post-It note tape should not be too overwhelming.
Level 2 books have both simplified Chinese and pinyin, but the Chinese characters are large and stand out while the pinyin is in relatively small font.
As a non-fluent parent, these books provide an excellent opportunity to learn basic science words.
In addition, my daughter who currently reads ~800 Chinese characters can read most of the text independently.
Images in Chinese science books
The vast majority of the images are high definition snapshots of real objects, animals, and people! Occasional illustrations are included.
Due to the high quality of the photographs, both of my kids are very interested in these books.
As an adult, I am impressed with the detail and am learning a lot with them! It’s been years since I’ve looked at fish anatomy or the life cycle of a butterfly, and there is so much to discuss and explore!
Downside of iSuperScience books
The major downside of these books is the cost! The iSuper Science books are $28/set, but I am very happy with this purchase.
Although these books come with a teacher’s guide, I decided not to purchase them to save money ($30/set) and see what we could learn on our own.
The books alone give ideas on simple experiments that you can do with your kids, such as adding color to fabric, putting egg in vinegar, and melting ice, etc.
Chinese science book Titles, ISBN, and Sample Photos
Since there are so many books in this series, I have grouped the photos with the titles and ISBN so that you can review book details with the corresponding images.
iSuper Science Level 1 books
Earth Science (Trees) 地球科学·树 ISBN 978-7-04-046344-6
- This is a Tree 这是一棵树
- Different Species of Trees 树的种类
- An Apple Tree 一棵苹果树
- Trees are Important 树木很重要
Physical Science (Textile Materials) 物理科学·纺织材料 ISBN 978-7-04-044879-5
- Objects Are Different 物品各有不同
- Textile Materials 纺织材料
- Making Textile 做纺织品
- Textile Materials and Water 纺织材料和水
Click here to see cloth painting with pipettes which was inspired by these Chinese fabric books!
Life Science (Fish) 生命科学·鱼 ISBN 978-7-04-044884-9
- Structure of Fish 鱼的结构
- Life of Fish 鱼的生活
- Life of Goldfish 金鱼的生活
- Fish and Schools of Fish 鱼和鱼群
Here’s a fun fish anatomy craft that we did with the fish books!
iSuper Science Level 2 Books
Earth Science (Earth Structure) 地球科学 ISBN 978-7-04-048621-6
- Rocks 岩石
- Ores and Fossils 矿石和化石
- Soil 土壤
- Water and the Earth 水和地球
Life Science (Butterflies and Moths) 生命科学 ISBN 978-7-04-048622-3
- Organism-Insects 生物-昆虫
- Butterflies and Moths 蝴蝶和飞蛾
- The Life Circle 生命周期
- Observe the Growth of Insects 观察昆虫成长
Physical Science (Matter) 物理科学 978-7-04-048623-0
- Matter and Property 物质和属性
- The Classification of Matter 物质的分类
- The Property of Water 水的特性
- The Features of Matter 物质的特性
Where to buy iSuper Science Chinese books for kids:
- iSuper Science Level 1 Books:
- iSuper Science Level 1 Teacher’s Guide
- iSuper Science Level 2 Books:
- iSuper Science Level 3 Books:
You can see more photos of the books:
In summary, I highly recommend these iSuper Science Chinese books to all young children!
If you’re looking for traditional Chinese books similar to this series, check out the following:
Where to buy Chinese books for kids
For more Chinese book recommendations for kids, please visit and bookmark this link of our favorite books! Every week, I will be adding book reviews to this website!
If you’re wondering where to buy Chinese books for children, please click here for a list of the most popular online bookstores!
Chinese audiobooks for kids
For free Chinese audiobooks for children, check out:
- Free Chinese Audiobooks for Children on Ximalaya 喜马拉雅
- How to Use Ximalaya FM When You Can’t Read Chinese
Tips on creating a Chinese learning environment at home
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent: 7 Lessons Learned in 2018
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- How to Find a Foreign Language Teacher for Your Child
- 5 Reasons Books are the Best Gifts for Multilingual Kids
Teach kids how to read Chinese
- When and How to Introduce Chinese Characters to Kids?
- 5 Basic Tips for Memorizing Chinese Characters
- 10 Ways to Encourage Your Child to Read
- Create a Print-Rich Environment with Labels that Promote Literacy
- How I Taught My Child 1000+ Chinese Characters as a Non-Fluent Speaker
- When Should My Child Learn Hanyu Pinyin?
Bilingual English and Chinese Facebook Parent Group
As always, please leave a comment with any questions, and I’ll try my best to answer them!
Or better yet, ask other parents in our Facebook group! Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English is a community of parents worldwide who are excited to share bilingual book recommendations, Montessori tips, and learning materials!