Over the past week, we have worked on a family Chinese 感恩节 / 感恩節 (gǎn’ēn jié / Thanksgiving) activity: building a Giant Turkey Craft! It’s so important to count our blessings, and this Thanksgiving craft puts our appreciation on the wall for all to see!
Teaching gratitude to children
As second-generation immigrants, we are very privileged. Our parents and grandparents immigrated to the United States at a difficult time in history and paved the way for us to have a better life. As a result, our kids’ generation is even more fortunate.
Although our kids will have a relatively carefree childhood, my husband and I are trying our best to teach appreciation from the start. Throughout the day, we pray with the kids, discuss what we are thankful for, and brainstorm ways in which we can do better and help others.
For this activity, 老大 and I took turns coming up with things that we are grateful. Afterwards, we decorated her room with these wonderful blessings.
Keep scrolling to see how the Giant Thankful Wall Turkey evolves!
Important vocabulary about gratitude in Chinese, Pinyin, and English
Since my daughter and I are learning Chinese together, I take notes on my website to remember the new words that we learned. I hope this can help other parents who are not fluent but interested in learning, too!
The list below has words about gratitude in simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Hanyu Pinyin, and English.
- 感谢 / 感謝 (Gǎnxiè / thankful, grateful)
- 感激 (Gǎnjī / thankful, grateful)
- 欣赏 / 欣賞 (Xīnshǎng / to appreciate)
- 感恩节快乐! / 感恩節快樂! (Gǎn’ēn jié kuàilè / Happy Thanksgiving!)
- 谢谢 / 謝謝! (Xièxiè / Thank you)
- 非常感谢你! / 非常感謝你 (Fēi cháng gǎn xiè nǐ! / Thank you very much!)
- 我很感谢你们大家。/ 我很感謝你們大家。(Wǒ hěn gǎnxiè nǐmen dàjiā. / I’m so thankful for you all).
- 你对我真好! / 你對我真好! (Nǐ duì wǒ zhēn hǎo! / You’re so good to me!)
Giant Turkey Craft: What you need for this Thanksgiving activity
Giant Turkey Craft: How to set up this Thanksgiving activity
- Cut turkey
- For turkey’s body, use an 8″x11″ brown sheet of paper and round the edges
- For turkey’s head, cut a large circle
- Don’t forget the eyes, nose, and the snood!
- For turkey’s feathers, we folded an 8″x11″ paper in half and cut biconvex shapes
- Ask each member of the family what they are thankful for
- Write blessing on each feather
- Tape to wall with painter’s tape
What did my children think of this Giant Thanksgiving Turkey Craft?
老大 had fun climbing up for the Giant Wall Turkey’s high feathers!
老二 had fun running around while trying to rip the tape!
The giant wall turkey has been up in 老大’s bedroom all week, and she’s so happy that it’s in her room! We have had fun rearranging the feathers and using them to discuss how we feel!
Have you tried this Giant Thanksgiving Turkey Activity?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below!
We’d love to hear about your learning experience! Please share what language(s) your child(ren) are learning!
More Chinese Thanksgiving Activities for Children
- 7 Low-Prep, Educational Chinese Thanksgiving Activities!
- Thanksgiving Picture Books in English & Chinese
- 10 Fun and Free Chinese Teaching Activities with Leaves! (Free Printable)
- 16 Tree and Autumn Books for Kids in Chinese and English
- 10 Thanksgiving YouTube Videos for Kids in Mandarin Chinese!