Firecrackers are a big part of Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations. Inspired by one of our favorite websites, Chinese American Family, my daughter and I made Chinese firecracker crafts out of paper!
Since we changed a few of the steps compared to Chinese American Family’s instructions, I wanted to share our version! Please check out their original creative version and the other amazing resources on their site!
Tying the knots between the firecrackers was a bit tricky for my kids, so I have a video tutorial at the end of the post in hopes it can help your family and students!
This post may have some affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission which supports my blog and free printables at no additional cost to you. Please see the disclosure policy for details.
Why are Chinese firecrackers and fireworks important for Lunar New Year?
Firecrackers and fireworks were invented in China, and they have been a major part of Lunar New Year traditions.
Historically, firecrackers were used to scare away the legendary Nian Monster. On New Year’s Eve, the Nian monster would threaten to eat the villagers and destroy their homes.
However, one day, an old man discovered that the explosive bang of firecrackers scared away the Nian monster.
Today, firecrackers and fireworks remain an important part of the festivities. Firecrackers are also used as decorations!
What you need to make Chinese firecrackers
- Red construction paper, printer paper, or leftover red envelopes
- Ribbon or string
- For decoration: gold stickers, paint pen, decorative washi tape (eg, sparkly, assorted)
- Optional: Lucky Chinese red envelopes or 福 Chinese banner
How to make Chinese firecrackers crafts
- Fold paper into quarters
- Cut along creases to create 4 rectangles
- Note: If using red envelopes, can cut apart packet to create 2 rectangles
- Roll paper into tube shape (firecracker). We rolled the longer ends so the tubes would have a narrow appearance.
- Tape both ends
- Decorate with gold tape, stickers, or paint as desired
- Repeat steps 2-5 until you have at least 3 pairs of firecracker tubes. Continue if you prefer a long chain of firecrackers
- Cut ribbon into into 3 inch strip. Tape each end of ribbon inside firecracker tubes. Repeat for each pair of firecrackers.
- Arrange firecrackers in desired shape
- Cut long pieces of ribbon (a few inches longer than group of firecrackers) and tie it to each pair of firecrackers
- Optional: tape top of firecrackers to Chinese red envelopes or 福 Chinese banner
Video tutorial: How to make Chinese firecrackers
Did you make Chinese firecrackers with your kids or students?
If you try this activity, please let us know in the comments below! What age(s) are your kid(s) and how did it go? We’d love to hear about your learning experience!
More Chinese New Year resources for kids
- 20+ Fun Chinese New Year Activities for Kids!
- Chinese Zodiac Wheel – Educational Chinese New Year Printable
- 恭喜发财 Chinese New Year Craft Stick Puzzle
- Free Happy New Year Coloring Pages
- Chinese New Year books and audiobooks
- Chinese New Year YouTube videos
Learning activities for every topic!
For free, convenient access to the Educational Printables Library, please click the button below to subscribe!
To see all of our fun and easy learning activities, please click on the button below!
Our Hands-On Activities Library is organized by topic for your convenience!
新年快乐, 恭喜发财!! 新年快樂, 恭喜發財!!
Happy New Year! May you have a prosperous new year!