I have an excessive amount of hole reinforcers that left over from when I went to school many, many years ago! I didn’t even use them up after our Octopus counting craft! These hole reinforcers came in handy for our literacy lesson about circle-related characters. Even my sister wanted to participate since she is also trying to improve her Chinese. We discussed that 圈 (quān) and 圆 (yuán) both refer to round and circle. However, 卷 (juǎn) is the act of rolling something up. The characters look so similar and are easily confused with one another. Therefore this Reinforcing Circle-Related Characters activity is helpful to repeat over and over!
What you need for the circle learning activity:
- Hole reinforcers
- 圈, 圆, and 卷 written or typed in LARGE font
- Optional: For more of a challenge, use block character templates (free download in simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese)
Note: Block characters may be hard for some learners to remember compared to regular font. If your child or student has trouble remembering Chinese characters, it’s best to show them regular KaiTi font.
How to set up the circle learning activity:
- Write or print Chinese characters on colored paper to contrast with the hole reinforcers
- Affix hole reinforcers
If your family learns about circles with hole reinforcers, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #ChalkAcademy on Instagram. You’re also welcome to share photo with our Facebook group, Montessori-inspired Kids Learning Chinese and English!
Recommended articles about how to teach kids Chinese
For tips on how to teach your child Chinese, these posts are for you!
- Teach Your Child a Second Language at Home with 5 Key Steps
- How To Get Your Child To Speak the Minority Language
- Raising Multilingual Children as a Non-Fluent Parent
- How to Find a Foreign Language Teacher for Your Child
- 10 Ways to Get Your Child to Read Throughout the Day